Chapter 13 - The Moment

Chapter 13 – The Moment

There are those times, in life, where we want to stop. We want to just put down what we are holding and freeze time. We know, in our hearts, that it can't get any better from there on out. We knew that it is only down hill from there. But we can't…we can't freeze time so we do things, we react, we respond to the situation the best way we know how.

***

Barkley's office was crowded that blustery afternoon. Peter and Ben both sat opposite their boss in wait of what he had to say. Ben eyed the clock and wanted to go home. He had a three day break and he was off ten minutes ago. When he arrived at work it the day progressed as normal, except for the fact that it was paycheck day. This added bonus, plus a three day weekend only made the end of the day all the sweeter. Ben turned his gaze back to Barkley who smiled at the two.

"You might have noticed I have been keeping my eyes on both of you lately." Barkley stated.

Ben hadn't noticed, was Barkley wondering if Peter and Ben did anything at work. They didn't, they didn't even hold hands. Romance between the two had come to a halt. Ben thought back to the time he had his breakdown and almost went down on Peter in the editing room. There weren't cameras in there, and nothing happened. Ben felt his palms sweat and looked at his boss nervously.

"There is a promotion available, and one of you would fit in the job perfectly. You see, Peter has been here longer and does have seniority, but Ben you have really fit in here. Both of you are equally qualified for the job. I will announce who get's it Monday. I just wanted both of you to know. " Barkley nodded and turned his swivel chair around. This action in itself dismissed the two.

Peter and Ben exited the office and walked to the elevator. They pressed the button and stood in silence waiting for the metal doors to slide open.

"So, we are in a competition now," Ben laughed. "Ben vs. Peter place your bets."

Peter let out a slight chuckle but it trailed off. He looked distracted by other things. They crept into the elevator and the doors shut. Peter and Ben avoided eye contact and this awkwardness crept up from seemingly nowhere.

"To be honest, I thought, he was going to say something about us being gay." Peter whispered as the buttons glowed to lower numbers showing the elevators decent.

"Me too," Ben laughed. "He wouldn't have anything on us though."

"Yeah, sometimes I forget being gay isn't a crime. It was always like that growing up." Peter watched his twisted reflection in the metal door and spotted an evident frown. "It must be nice to be out of Closet County."

"It is, try it sometime." Ben laughed. The silence engulfed them as the two lit up, they were almost to the lobby. "Are you alright?" Ben questioned.

"Fine, I just…" Peter let out a nervous chuckle. "May I kiss you? I know it's awkward, but I feel like I need to kiss you right now for real."

"Listen, it wouldn't be fair to Seth," Ben got those few words out before Peter planted his lips tight onto Ben's.

The kiss felt passionate and fiery as if saved exactly for this moment. It lasted only a few seconds but each second felt better than the last, the soft push and part of lips. Peter's hand rose to the back of Ben's head and clung it. Ben melted and didn't notice when Peter stopped.

"Are you alright Peter," Ben asked again, more concerned. "I mean, are you okay,"

"Yeah, I just wanted to make coming to work today worth it." Peter replied and walked out of the building.