Book III Chapter 04

HAINAN DAO BOOK III

CHAPTER 04

Xiaoshu led me to the third floor.

“What is it?”

He didn’t answer my question. He only kept his hand clutched to my arm as he led me down the hallway. We reached the end of the corridor. We stepped into the last suite.

Inside, I saw a man lying on a stretcher. It was the only bed in the whole room. With his back to us, Dashu was standing over by the head of it so I couldn’t see the patient’s face. Dr. Croft was in there too.

Xiaoshu coughed. Dashu turned around. He put a finger to his lips, and then motioned for us to go on back outside. Dashu followed us out and closed the door behind him. Just before he did though, I managed to catch a glimpse of the man I couldn’t see before.

It was Fuhwa.

I turned to Dashu. “Is that…?” I pointed back to the room. “What’s he doing here? What’s wrong?”

Dashu shook his head. “Something has happened.”

“What?”

“Your brother has had a heart attack.”

“Heart attack?” I rushed past Dashu and raced into the room, right up to the stretcher.

Dr. Croft held his hand up to stay me. “James…”

I took Fuhwa’s hand in mine.

He opened his eyes, but just a crack.

“Daga…” I said. (Older brother.)

He looked at me and I knew that he recognized me.

Smiling, he wagged his head from side to side. He coughed. “I have not much time…just…just listen…”

Wincing, I nodded my head.

“…I am not asking you to stay…I will never do that. Our father made me promise him. He told me that one day, you would return. He said that one day, he would tell you about us and you would return…He said you did not belong here. Your place was far away…even if you wanted to, I must not let you stay…He made me promise…”

“Daga…!”

“…that is why I will not ask you…I will not break a promise…” He smiled and closed his eyes again. “…I am not like my father…”

Fuhwa began coughing again and took some time before he stopped.

Dr. Croft frowned at me and motioned for me to go. Taking me by the arm, Dashu and Xiaoshu escorted me out.

“It’s all right.” Dashu patted me on the arm. “Dr. Croft said earlier that he was stable. He just needs to rest and not get too excited.”

I stopped walking. We stood in the middle of the hallway like that and I turned to the two of them. “Tell me what happened.”

Dashu sighed. He lifted his eyes to meet mine and searched into their depths. He shook his head. “Then…you didn’t know your brother had come back, did you?”

I frowned. I shook my head. “What are you talking about? Fuhwa?”

Dashu reached up and rubbed his chin. He nodded. “So, you really didn’t know…?”

“Didn’t know what?”

Smiling, Xiaoshu turned to Dashu. He bumped him on the arm. “You see? I told you!”