Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Not long after a knock came from the door. A young man, about Damon’s age, came in with a tray of food. It looked like bread, salmon, and a glass of water.

“ Hello, my name is Nicholas.” Nicholas set the tray down next to my tub. He also had a handsome face, but not quite as handsome as Damon. His hair was shorter than Damon’s and his eyes were a dark brown. He didn’t seem to have a muscular build, but I didn’t doubt his strength. Suddenly I realized how I comparing him to Damon. What the hell.

“My name is-”

“Elani, I know. Damon told me just before I came in. I made you something to eat. It’s not a lot but we need to stop to get supplies.”

“Uh, that’s okay… Can you tell me where we are?”

“We’re on The Sea’s Dream sailing towards the small town of Elmgate.”

“Hmm…”

“Here eat this before it gets cold. And… Uh… wipe that blood off your face. It’s slightly disturbing.” I couldn’t help but laugh. I don’t know why I did since I didn’t really trust humans but Nicholas just seemed different. He seemed reliable and for some reason I felt better around him. That laugh was genuine and, believe me, it felt nice to let it out.

I took the plate when he handed it to me and devoured the bread quickly. It was so soft and tasteless, yet it left me wanting more. Then I took a bite out of the salmon and spit it out suddenly. It shocked Nicholas and I gagged a bit. Cooked. This salmon was cooked. No blood left in it or original nutrition. I plopped the salmon onto the plate and handed it roughly back to Nicholas.

“What’s wrong with it?”

“It’s cooked!” I exclaimed. “There is no fire under the water. Everything I eat is raw!”

“I should have known that.” Nicholas mumbled under his breath. He probably thought I didn’t hear him. “I’ll go get you some freshly caught salmon. I’ll remember not to cook it this time.” he grinned at me. I laughed and nodded.

*~*~*

It didn’t take long for Nicholas to return with another plate of fresh salmon, blood and all. I decided I wasn’t going to eat it in front of him, though, because he seemed to be easily freaked out by blood and sorts. This was also when I decided that I was going to befriend Nicholas because I somehow feel connected to him. I have no idea how, and I know I’m not attracted to him - just the thought of that disgusts me- but I felt like I had no reason to hate him.

“You know, you remind me of this one boy I know back home.” I told him suddenly.

“How?”

“Well, I can’t quite put a finger on it. See, your eyes and hair are different colors and your faces look nothing alike. Heck, both of you barely act the same, minus all that talking. Maybe that’s it… you both talk a lot.”

“Gee, thanks.”

“That’s not a bad thing.” I laughed at him. “There is something else, too…”

“And what is that?”

“Hmm… well I feel this sort of connection to you, like I can trust you with anything, and I felt the same way with that boy too. He and I used to be fairly close, basically best friends.”

“Well, what happened?”

“He changed. He was no longer the same fun, outgoing boy I befriended. Instead he became serious and too involved in work to give a care about me or my best friend. I do miss him, though… He used to always pester the High King’s dolphins and cause them to rampage but never would get caught. He also managed to find a new adventure every day for the three of us to go on…” Somewhere in my explaining I got lost in my memories. It literally seemed like yesterday Jarred and I were swimming through the seaweed patch with Nami ready for our next adventure.