Tears Of Pearl

Tears of Pearl

When I was younger, my mother spoke of tales of creatures who lived above the seas. “Humans” she called them. “They look just like us except with legs, and they spoke in a variety of languages, all of which we have learned. Humans had a passion for violence, but never knew it. They believed themselves righteous, yet they were savage.” she spoke of these humans in such disgust I never thought possible. “But they had hope, or so we thought. Our second king, High King Neoptine I, tried to proclaim peace to these humans, but they couldn’t understand our words. They slaughtered him, eating his meat for they believed it brought immortality.”

“Well did it, Mother?” I would ask with wide eyes. She would smile slightly and lean in closer.

“No, Merfolk meat is poison to humans.”

“So what happened after that?”

“War was raged, but the humans eventually forgot, but Merfolk never forget. Now, if humans enter our territory, they aren’t welcomed. We use them as a source of food just like any other animal in our territory. They call us monsters, and yet they search for us. Every now and then, a human might ‘fall in love’ with a mermaid, and some have children. But any Merfolk who breed with a human is no longer apart of our kingdom. They are exiled to live on land with those useless humans.”

Growing up, I always believed differently. Humans had to have something that was good about them. We haven’t explored the lands they live on, or the ways of them. Bu eventually every kid has to grow up.