Chapter 2

Chapter 2

When I wake up, I’m still in water. I felt cramped, and my head was pounding. My throat felt rough and my hair was dried at the top of my head. My vision was blurred. Once it finally cleared up, I noticed that I was in a tub, far away from home. A sudden realization dawned on me. Where was I? Definitely not underwater, definitely far away from home. I was in someone’s bedroom, on a ship. The king size bed adorned with a canopy and golden sheets was in the center of the room. Shelves lined the room with jars of sand and seashells sitting on top of them. Gems were also scattered along the shelves, shining so brightly. I could taste the salt of the ocean in the air and I missed it. It’s times like this that humans would have cried, but not mermaids. It is nearly impossible to make a mermaid cry. Instead, mermaids sing their feelings. But I didn’t dare.

What did these humans want with me? Would I make it back home? Would I be welcomed back or shunned? I dipped my hands into the water contained in this tub with me and splashed my face with it. Some blood washes off and I remember back when I bit that man. What had come over me? I know I hate humans but I never dreamed of killing one, or causing one’s death. What ever happened… I became a monster.

Looking at my tail, I noticed my vibrant blue tail had turned a little dull, and it was battered. A new scar had formed on my waist and my fin was slightly shredded. I wish I could remember what happened. My beautiful tail was ruined, and I didn’t even remember how. Suddenly I heard a door open and a slight breeze. I didn’t bother to pretend I was still knocked out, I wanted to know who took me. A young lightly tan man who looked about seventeen calmly walked in and took his heavy coat off, placing it on his bed. Even from where I was, I could tell this man was muscular; it was easily shown through his cotton shirt. He ran his grubby hands through his unkempt, shoulder-length hair and turned towards me.

I seemed to have startled him with my staring but I didn’t care. I had to admit that his eyes, which were a sky blue, stunned me. He had a handsome face as well… but it wasn’t enough for me to hate him any less.

“Ah, so you’ve finally woken up. Took you long enough, you were out for nearly two days! So what‘s your name,love?” Oh how I wished I could just slap that smile off his little human face. I looked away, but didn’t dare speak. It was like I couldn’t. I desperately wanted to let him know my frustration and anger, but my voice just wouldn’t let me. “okay then… you want something to drink?”

I suddenly realized how dry my throat was. It was an unnatural feeling since I’ve never had to experience it before. I nodded slightly. He grabbed a small glass of water and walked closer to me. I cautiously took the delicate cup in my hands and gulped all the water in one sip. It was so refreshing. I had never had fresh water before and it tasted so pure, so clean. He chuckled.

“You want some more? You must be parched.” I nodded eagerly.

After drinking at least ten glasses of water and not saying a single word to this man, I finally spoke up. “My name is Elani.” I managed to look into his eyes, but my voice sounded weak and it bothered me.

“Well, Elani, my name is Damon. Pleasure to meet you.” He reached his hand out but I didn’t take it. He retracted it quickly.

“What do you want with me?”

“Just looking for a profit.” He said with another grin.

“So I was taken from my home so you could make money?” I said in disbelief. My voice was becoming stronger too.

“I never said my profit was money. Don’t take it personally, love, I was looking for any mermaid. You just happened to be the one I got.” He smirked at me.

“Then what is your profit?” It had better be something good.

“Something very valuable to me.”

“And you were willing to go into mermaid territory and sell one for this valuable item? Well, what is it?”

“I don’t see how its any of your business, love. Anyways if I were you, I’d be worrying about who I was being sold to, and why he wants me.” With that he turned and left, leaving me to my own depressing thoughts.

Damon had a point. He might have taken me, but whoever he was selling me to had my life in his hands. Would I be killed? Would those silly humans believe my meat would grant them immortality and…eat me? Of course, that’s a rumor and not true. But that wouldn’t stop them. I wished I could stretch and swim around, but instead I was stuck in this stupid tub. I lowered myself and dunked my head under the water. My thoughts instantly cleared, but not by much. I sat up again, and looked out a window. It was mid-day and the sun still shined bright. I noticed something- a flag- swaying in the wind on a long wooden pole. It was black with a white skull and cross-bones. And then I suddenly realized it. It was shocking that I didn’t realize it sooner. I was a passenger, more like hostage, on a pirate ship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- yeah I know it's short but my next one will be longer and better :) I just wanted to introduce Damon quickly and kind of explain what is going on for the time being. The picture on the side is how I mostly picture Damon. Its Logan Lerman haha okay comment? vote? tis appreciated <3