Unwanted and Unexpected

Really, Berlin was everything I wanted. She was smart, but not too smart. Sarcastic and witty, perfect height to coordinate with mine, her hand felt just right, she was warm. However, most importantly, she was mine.

I had someone to hold and love, someone to take care of. And not in a friendly way, like Luke and I. I could kiss her, and hold her at night. She would be the mother of my kids and my wife.

Right now, as I watched her laugh and play with a child she met on the playground, I knew she was special.

While I cant yet say I love her, I know I will. It won't take me long to love her, either. And it will be easy, because we are made for each other. She waved goodbye to the kid, and made her way back towards me.

"Where to, Mikey?" Berlin smiled. I searched her bright blue eyes with my own before responding.

"I kinda wanted to chill for a bit, but not with a ton of people around, you know? Maybe uh, just go hang at mine?" I struggled to say this, not knowing if I was being too forward.

My worries washed away when her smile brightened, and she nodded eagerly.

"We can watch a movie and cuddle! And we could talk a bit more too. I need to go soon though, to check on Lou. I don't know what I would have done if someone told me you were my mate. Especially while I was attending your funeral. Unknowingly." This brought a frown upon her face, and mine as well. Mostly because of what she said, but part of me was upset about her looking so sad.

So I grabbed her hand, and pulled her to my car. She smiled softly and slid in. I shut her door and got in the driver's seat. I started off towards my house, turning on a mixtape that was mostly Metallica.

Soon enough, we were back at my place. I opened my front door for her and she took her shoes off. She went to sit them by the door when the pair of converse next to it diverted her attention. Her breath caught in her throat.

"Are those-" She started.

"Yeah. They're his." I choked out, voice thick. I haven't been able to get any of his things from about the house and put them in his room.

Seeing these after coming back from forgetting is like ripping open old wounds, except these wounds aren't too old at all. She nodded, and proceeded to put her shoes by his. I followed suit, placing mine next to hers. I couldn't tear my eyes away from his, though. They were old and beaten up, and he probably should have thrown them away by now, but they just screamed Luke. It was all so Luke. I slowly turned to Berlin with a blank expression. She looked at me worriedly, but followed me to the living room nonetheless.

I sat on the sofa, her next to me. Wordlessly, she laid down, pulling me with her. Berlin cuddled up to my back, intertwining our legs. She pressed a kiss to the back of my head, whispering that it would be better one day. Everything would go exactly the way fate intended, and the world would eventually move on.

And then it hit me, that I was in the exact same position as I was with Luke, three weeks prior. Being the little spoon, and assured that everything would fall into place. Then it was like his scent just lifted from the seats, and all I could smell is his cologne.

I didn't even realize it until she was wiping at my face, but I was sobbing. Ugly, wild cries escaping my lips as I just wept with no definite end. I turned myself around to face her, burying my face into the crook of her neck. Berlin ran her fingers through my hair, nuzzling into it.

"I know, Michael. It'll be okay, baby." She whispered. I tightened my arms around her and held her closer to me as I felt a tear not belonging to me on my forehead.

I'm not sure when we stopped crying, but we were at some point just staring at each other, eyes red and puffy. Her fingers were tracing my face. I closed my eyes, feeling her thumb caressing my cheekbone, moving down across my lip.

While she did this I just rubbed circles into her back, hands skimming over her shoulder blades.

Her phone rang, and she pulled back to answer it. She smiled at the Caller ID, and swiped to answer. Berlin held the phone up to her ear, looking into my eyes.

There was frantic speaking on the other end, and suddenly her hand was clamped over her mouth, tears welling in her eyes.

I don't know what is wrong, but god I hope nothing ever makes her look this heartbroken ever again.

o shit whaddup

I know what you're all thinking

what did I do now?

hahaha I hate myself hahaha

it's cool though.

there will probably only be a few more chapters of this, it wasn't supposed to be a very long story anyways. but the end of this means a new story and maybe the republication of september you never know

enjoy the update, I was actually on time.

lilacbabyboy the fluff is here.