Time Will Tell part 17

Colin helped Libby onto her horse and then attached the basket to his saddle before mounting. Their daily rides followed by a picnic lunch had become the norm after three days. It was something he would miss once Libby found her way back home. But he refused to dwell on that as they slowly headed back the way they’d come.

“You know, you never have gotten around to fixing that fence.”

Libby’s voice drew his attention and it dawned on him what she was referring to. He chuckled. “There is no fence.”

“So that first time you were bent on seduction? I’m shocked.”

“Is that what you think of me?” Colin snorted. “That I would bring a woman-child who flies through time out here to seduce her?” He tsk-tsked.

“No.” Libby shook her head.

“I’m glad you think so highly of me. But we should talk about how naive and trusting you are, my dear. If I’d been bent on seduction, you’d be seduced.” A blanket of guilt settled over his shoulders for the part of him that wanted to do exactly that, but he shoved it off, refusing to dwell on that too. His intentions were honorable.

She grunted. “Yeah, right.”

“The thought has crossed my mind, but I refrained because you’re not in a position to accept my offer of marriage,” he admitted. He would marry her in a heartbeat if things were different. “Besides, I’m not willing to spend precious moments begging for your forgiveness. The fence excuse achieved my main intent, which was to spend time with you.”

“Good save.”

“What did I save,” Colin asked. “I was being honest.”

“Since we’re being honest, you deserve to know that I’m more woman than child.”

“Thank God.” Colin placed one hand over his heart. “It’s good to know I haven’t fallen in love with a child.” Admitting this might not be the best way to keep things on a friendly basis, but he refused to let her go home without knowing how he felt. He glanced at her sideways. “Just how old are you, anyway?”

“Twenty-three.” Their gazes connected and for a split second he caught the look of love in her eyes before she blinked. “How old are you?”

“Thirty-two—which makes us nine years apart.” It was all he could do to keep his voice light. “Much better than you being half my age.”

“You thought I was sixteen?” Her frown erased any remaining trace of affection in those eyes. “That’s insulting. It’s bad enough to get carded in bars, but sixteen? For that you need to grovel.”

“I don’t grovel.” He grinned, glad to have a topic to bring him back on firmer ground. “What does carded mean? You go into bars? Saloons? Is that allowed?”

Thankfully, Libby’s laughter and comments about the future and what women were allowed to do fully divested him of his earlier thoughts. Amazing how women in her time had such freedoms. All the more reason she would never be content in his time. Not with so many constraints to deal with in 1874.

Colin left Libby with Nathan, then found Gus working to bring a couple of horses together. The two were not complying. Every time the stallion came up to the mare on the other side of the dividing fence, the mare would kick out. As he cantered away, she would then try to take a bite out of his hide.

Gus shook his head. “I think it’s going to be a day or two for her.”

“Well, Gus, sometimes the females of the species are that way.” He clapped Gus on the back and added in an amicable voice, “As males, we need to be patient, proceed cautiously, and wait for them to give us a sign.”