Time Will Tell Part 5

As Libby guided the bulky wheelbarrow back inside, Colin wondered about those few instances earlier in the day when he would walk past the boy, offering a quick glance, only to catch him staring. Each time their gazes had locked, he’d felt a tug—a connection. Even more peculiar, there was something about the lad that brought out his protective instinct. The same instinct he felt for each of his three children, who were all under the age of five.

Colin shrugged the thoughts off when out of the corner of his eye he saw Gus leading Zeus and turned in his manager’s direction.

The stallion’s ears perked up and his head bobbed as he drew near. “How’d he do today?”

Gus grinned, halting the horse. “Two seconds faster than yesterday, so I’d say he’s coming along nicely.”

“I wish Abby was here to see him run,” Colin said, rubbing his long nose. His wife had died in childbirth nine months earlier. That sad burden only added to his guilt of bringing Abigail to Kentucky, far away from her beloved Virginia. As a result, her last years had been miserable. “Maybe then she’d finally understand why this land is so important.”

“She missed her home, Colin. Some people just aren’t of a mind to leave those they love.”

He eyed Gus. “You and Berta did.” As immigrants, they’d traveled much farther, all the way from Norway. At least Abby had been able to visit her family now and again. Unlike Gus and Berta. Besides, it wasn’t as if she hadn’t known about his plans to leave Virginia before they married.

His friend nodded. “Ja, but my wife wanted the opportunity America offered as much as I did.”

And Berta loves you, he thought wistfully. His and Abby’s hadn’t been a love match, but they’d been good friends in the beginning of their marriage, which is how he liked to remember her. That’s the woman he grieved for. He loved his new home. His thoroughbreds thrived here, and so did his children. Abby was the only one who hadn’t.

When the horse neighed, Colin realized he’d stopped stroking his neck. Nuzzling closer, he whispered, “You’re a champion, aren’t you?” He was breeding faster and stronger animals. Zeus was just the beginning.

Ja,” Gus said, turning to lead the stallion back inside. “It’ll only be a matter of time before this brute makes you famous. He’s one of the best runners I’ve ever seen.”

Following, Colin grinned. “Which will be soon, I hope.” His entire future was riding on all the horses in this barn, but this one was special.

“He’s definitely gaining more speed day by day. But the mare he sired might just give him some competition.”

“Good. He’ll have plenty of incentive to run faster.” Thinking of all he’d achieved in ten years, Colin’s grin spread. His dream was coming to fruition. It really was too damned bad that Abby couldn’t be here to experience his small gains.

At this point, they neared the stall Libby and Nathan were cleaning. Colin ignored the same sense of protectiveness that crept over him every time he came close. A few feet away, he stopped to observe the lad.

Gus looked at him with questioning eyes.

His nod indicated Libby. “He looks so young.” And scrawny, he thought. A stiff wind could easily blow him over. “But he seems to be pulling his weight.”

Gus grunted an assent. “Actually he’s pulling a hell of a lot more than his weight and shows promise. He’s worked wonders with Nathan. I only hope he’s as good with horses as he claims. It sure would be nice to have a decent hand who understands equines.”