Time Will Tell part 12

When the westbound train pulled into the Shelbyville station, Colin boarded, having spent most of the hour-long horseback ride reflecting on his mares’ performances. After finding a seat, he stared out the window as his mind drifted once again to his new stable hand.

Unanswered questions about what he’d seen the night before still concerned him. He honest to God didn’t know what to believe. Yet because he needed someone with the boy’s gift, he was tempted to overlook the anomaly. After witnessing Libby shave seconds off his mares’ best times, he couldn’t dismiss what that meant. Weight was more important than they’d figured. The boy looked to be about a hundred pounds, maybe one hundred and ten, at least eighty pounds lighter than Gus and sixty lighter than himself.

It was difficult to gauge a real race, since most of the jockeys racing weighed less than a hundred and thirty pounds. So far he and Gus were able to train their horses on their own. Their heavier weight actually gave them a slight advantage. Up to a point. Early on, they’d decided to forgo the expense of employing a jockey on the farm until the need became more urgent.

As luck would have it, they no longer had the problem of finding a competent one. In fact, they were ahead of the game.

Colin had never seen a jockey just hop on and encourage that type of speed without working with either horse for days. Apparition or not, he would be a fool to expose the lad without knowing more. He had no doubts that when he returned, his stallions’ times will have improved under the boy’s touch. He was that good.

His thoughts then turned to his meeting later that day at the Galt House, where he’d booked a room. Besides the meeting, Colin had pressing business with his solicitor, and he’d planned on taking the time to scout out the site of the new track. He also wanted to talk to several businessmen to gain more information.

He was anxious to have the issue resolved one way or the other. After thinking about it, he realized why he was antsy. He was in a hurry to get back to his farm. Funny, he was in no hurry yesterday. But after seeing Libby on his mares, he couldn’t contain his budding excitement at the thought of working with him.

The fierce shrill of a train whistle interrupted his thoughts. Looking out the window, he was shocked to see the Louisville sign. Totally absorbed in his thoughts, he’d completely missed the other stops along the way.

The train lurched to a stop and he quickly disembarked. Avoiding horse-drawn wagons and pedestrians alike, he hurried up Main Street toward the livery stable to rent a horse for later that afternoon. The sun’s rays beat on his shoulders. Near midday, the temperature was climbing.

His mission accomplished, he started for Mr. Malcolm Webster’s office on Fourth and Main. His appointment wasn’t until the next morning, but if Malcolm could see him now, Colin would be able to tie up his business concerns and return to Shelbyville on the morning train.

Inside Malcolm’s office, he nodded to the clerk who sat at a desk near the door.

The young man immediately stood up. “Good morning, Mr. Thorpe,” he said in an anxious voice, wringing his hands. “How may I help you?”

Colin smiled to put him at ease. “Good morning, Mr. Pettibone. Is Mr. Webster in? I realize my appointment isn’t until tomorrow. I had some free time now and thought I could get my business out of the way.”

“I’m not sure,” he answered awkwardly, glancing a little nervously at his employer’s closed door. “Mr. Webster’s been in there for quite a while with his earlier appointment. He should be finished any time.” He took a deep breath as if trying to relax before saying, “Why don’t you have a seat and when he’s free, I’ll let him know you are here.”