Time Will Tell part 8

Libby stirred, glanced around, and smiled. Her plan had worked. She actually landed back in her own time. The trees had somehow brought her home. She wanted to kiss them. Instead, she hopped up, ran over to her car, and climbed inside. Libby turned the key in the ignition. As the car idled, she picked up her cell phone and glanced at it. According to the date and time, only ten minutes had elapsed since the trees had called to her, even after spending almost two days in the past.

She threw one last look at the two oaks, put the car in gear, and peeled out onto the road, leaving a dusty trail behind her.

Around the bend, Bev was walking toward the Twin Oaks stable. She quickly parked and hurried in her direction. “Bev, wait up.”

At Choice’s stall, Bev halted and spun around. A smile lit her face. “Hey, Libby. What’s up?”

“I need to talk to you.” Libby didn’t bother to keep the excitement out of her voice.

“What happened?” Bev’s gaze narrowed. “Did you have your talk with Dr. Bull?”

“No. I mean yes, I had my talk with him, but that isn’t why I’m here. I went back today. After making a wish.”

Bev was in the process of opening the gate to Choice’s stall. With her hand on the latch, she glanced back, her brow furrowing in question. “What are you talking about? What happened?”

“I went back in time. Here on the farm. Not in my sleep like the last time, remember?” She nodded and Libby added, “Bev, it was the weirdest thing. I can’t explain it. The trees called to me. I know it sounds crazy. I’m having a hard time believing it myself, except look at this.” She pulled the old hat Berta had given her out from underhervest. The hat Libby found on the ground next to her after waking up was proof enough, at least for her, that her ordeal hadn’t been a dream.

Bev took the hat and examined it. “Looks old.” She remained silent for a few seconds. “It is just like before, but different. You know. Than when you went back to see your mom. What do you think it means? Why would you go back here?”

Libby shrugged. “I don’t know. But to be honest, I loved seeing the farm in its beginning stages.”

Bev sighed and a wistful yearning entered her expression. “Think of all that history.”

She followed Bev into the stall, wanting to hug her friend for believing in the impossible.

Brush in hand, Bev ran it over the mare’s back. “So, what’s it like? Back then? I gotta tell you, Libby, I wish it had been me.”

“Geez, Bev, I don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t talk to you about something so outlandish.” Merely thinking about Dave’s reaction had her mentally groaning. She rolled her eyes, then smiled. “Just the fact that I can sit here and discuss this experience with you calms me. I feel better already.”

“You didn’t answer my question.” Bev’s gaze sparkled with curiosity. “What’s it like?”

“Different, yet in some weird way it’s the same. There’s so much to tell you and no time since I have to meet Doug in the other stable. How about getting together after work for a beer?”

Her grin spread. “I’m always game for a beer. I’ll meet you in the parking lot at nine.”

Upon entering the other stable, Libby spotted Doug in a stall housing one of the Montana mares.

He looked up when she approached. “Good to see you. Can you start grooming the bay mare in stall five? I’ll be there when I’m done here.”

“Hey, beauty,” Libby said to the mare as she entered the stall and reached for a brush. She spent a few minutes brushing before Doug joined her.