Chapter 1: Vampires Come Out to Play

Heart’s Desire of a Vampire

Have you ever thought; when all hope is lost, the only option left would be to die? I’ve felt that way...

Chapter 1:

Vampires Come Out to Play

   “Here you go, Lilly.” Jeff, the bakery shop owner said to me. He handed me a loaf of bread and I bowed.

   “Thank you! See you on Wednesday, shall I?” I asked. Every Wednesday and Sunday I go out and buy a loaf of bread for me and my mother. She would make nice ham sandwiches and we’d watch movies until 11 at night.

   “You shall! Have a wonderful night and say hi to your mother for me, okay?” Jeff said with a large grin and a wave.

   I smiled at him, “I sure will!” I called out to him as I bolted out of the store and down the street.

   It was already pitch black out there and street lamps were nice and brightly shining the way for late night pedestrians.

   It was already 8:30 and I didn’t realize.

   “Better get home fast!” I told myself as I started to pick up the pace. I ran past small houses and apartment buildings.

   I stopped and looked up at the starry sky. I saw the Southern Cross and it was beautiful! I smiled as the wind blew against my body, brushing my hair onto my face. I pulled my hair back and looked up at the sky again. A murky breeze picked up and I felt faint slightly.

   The air turned thick and I couldn’t breathe properly. It felt like something was trying to crush my chest or maybe my heart.

   “What is this?” I murmured. I turned back and noticed Jeff was not in the bakery anymore. The door had been smashed and blood was splattered everywhere.

   “Oh my God...” I said covering my mouth. “What’s happening?”

   “Oh looky,” said a slow and crackly voice from behind me. I turned to face who or what it was making gestures about me. I was standing in front of a group of village people, although, they weren’t from my village.

   “Fresh meat and blood...” said one of the spooky people. I saw they all had pitch black eyes with yellow pupils. What the hell were they?

   I heard screams coming from all different directions. Male shouts for help. Female cry’s for mercy. Children begging and pleading but all I could hear were more screams... I guess the people didn’t get what they were asking for; help, mercy, life? 

   “Who are you?” I cried. “What have you done?”

   “We’re hungry...” They all mumbled and charged at me all at once.

   “AHHHH!” I cried turning around and running for my life.  What in God’s name were they? I really thought I was going to die. Luckily, they weren’t that fast or smart. I scrambled into an ally way and between two tall apartment buildings. Dumpsters and garbage bins lined the bricked walls of the buildings.

   I came to a halt as I nearly ran into a wired fence. The wires crossed over one another to form diamonds in shape.

   I glanced behind me and I saw the beasts were still chasing me. I noticed their finger nails grew to a point and looked really sharp. They could probably pierce some ones skin. What do they want from me?

   I leapt onto the fence and began to climb. Luckily I took gymnastics class once so I could quickly climb over the fence and jump back down on the other side.