3 ~ Sweet as a Pancake

A/N: CHARLIE IS GOING TO SEEM EXTREMELY IDIOTIC AND DENSE. BUT THAT IS HER CHARACTER. I REPEAT. THAT IS HER CHARACTER. I KNOW SHE IS DENSE. I WROTE HER THAT WAY. So please stop telling me lmao. 

ALSO. CrayonChomper made me not one, but two banners! The first one is to the right, isn't it pretty? You don't even know how starstruck I am right now, go read her stories if you haven't already, because she's brilliant. 

Chapter 3: Sweet as a Pancake (Charlotte)

I watched Barry as he came to a stop in front of me, just as I was leaving my room for class. He was in my Composition class, but I'd never really spoken to him before.

He looked rather flustered, and so I narrowed my eyes in concern. "Alright, Barry?" I greeted politely, smiling at him.

"Hi Charlie," he mumbled, his face going bright red.

I cocked my head at his actions, my smile slipping slightly. Was he alright? "How are you?"

"I'm j-just fine," he stuttered, leading me to believe that he was not, in fact, 'just fine.'

"You sure?" I prodded, frowning at the way his hands twisted nervously together, like he was having a mini seizure.

"I just w-want to tell you something."

Now I was utterly nonplussed, because he was a good student - I doubted he needed my notes. Nor did I think he wanted to copy my homework. What else could he want to say? "Yes?" I prompted, encouraging him with a smile.

"I...eh, I l-like you," he shoved out, looking absolutely mortified.

I frowned again. Why did he look so embarrassed to tell me such a simple thing? I wasn't cruel, I did have a nice answer for him. Ginny, my roommate and best friend, had told me he might let me know something like that. "I like you too, Barry," I finally said.

The poor lad brightened up tenfold, making me grin at how he suddenly seemed so much better. "You do?" he almost squeaked.

My grin widened and I nodded my head enthusiastically. "Yeah, you're a good friend!" As soon as I said those words, Barry's face grew darker than a thundercloud and I almost gasped.

Why did this always happen? Whenever I made acquaintance with a boy and they said they liked me, this always happened! I wouldn't make friends with somebody I didn't like, so why did they insist on stating the obvious? And why didn't they like that I was happy being friends with them? I didn't think led them on. In fact, I always made sure to explain that I wasn't up for dating.

Boys think they deserve too much sometimes.

Just then, I heard a bark of amused laughter, and glanced over my shoulder to see the mysterious stranger - Ben, was it? - with his hands on his knees, almost choking on his spit as he laughed hard and loud.

My eyes lit up at the sight of him for reasons unknown to me. "Sorry, Barry, I have to go!" I exclaimed, deciding to explain the circumstances to him next time. As I scurried away, he stared after me, as though his eyes would somehow magically transport me back to him. Sorry Barry, but getting to see Ben was rare, so I had to take the chance while I could.

Soon, I reached Ben and grinned in triumph. He snorted loudly and said, "What was that?"

I frowned, wondering if he could help me understand the mind of the male gender. "I don't get it, Benny," I started, wringing my hands just like Barry had previously. "These boys keep saying that they like me, and I always say I like them too because they're all so nice. But then they get so disappointed when I say that they're good friends, even though I always say that we're just friends!"