28 ~ Sour as Van Houten

A/N: forgive my choice of chapter title, it was the most requested and so I figured what else do I couple Augustus Waters with than Van Houten?

Chapter 28: Sour as Van Houten

Watching Lottie devour practically all of the leftover cake was like watching a kid meeting Mickey Mouse in Disneyland for the first time. She was surprisingly tidy for someone who ate so quickly.

I stared at her until she stopped and glanced at me, an embarrassed expression on her face. A splotch of pink icing had somehow ended up on the bridge of her nose. I shook my head in amusement and handed her a napkin. Lottie sheepishly wiped her mouth until I moved forward and directed her hand to her nose. Her entire face turned a bright crimson, which made me chuckle.

"You wouldn't happen to be looking at me like that because you want cake and not because you think I'm being a greedy pig, would you?" she asked, almost shyly.

I leant over the counter and rested my chin in my palms. "Do I like cake?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

She laughed that laugh I adored, despite how embarrassed she was. "Sorry, Benny."

"Don't be," I said. I felt a sharp pain on the back of my head and groaned, reaching around to cradle it.

"Benjamin!" Miss Franny scolded, a large, metal spoon in her hand. "Did you just call the poor girl a greedy pig?"

My eyes widened in terror. "What? No, I didn't!"

I glanced at Lottie for help, and saw that she had a hand covering her mouth to stifle her giggles. "Benjamin," Miss Franny said sternly.

"I swear to God, ma'am, I didn't!"

She shook her head and looked at Lottie. "Don't listen to a word the boy says, dear. He's quite dense - doesn't even realise half the things he says."

My mouth opened and I looked back and forth between my old tutor and Lottie. Lottie's eyes twinkled with mischief, and Miss Franny winked at me. "Miss Franny," I moaned. "Don't put words in my mouth!"

"You don't speak enough, dear, I'm just helping out."

My palms flattened on the counter and I willed myself to not turn red. "Maybe you should just let us eat in peace," I suggested. She patted my head with the spoon and smiled before walking away. I let out a quiet groan, slamming my head down, and Lottie giggled softly. "I didn't call you a greedy pig," I said, my voice muffled by the smooth marble.

"I know, Ben."

I looked up and noticed that she had her gentle smile on, which made me gulp nervously and turn my gaze to the platter of food and plate of cake Miss Franny had put together for us. I picked up a fork and speared one of the mini bangers. "The food is delicious," Lottie said, and I knew she was trying to ease my mortification.

I nodded and popped the banger in my mouth. "Miss Franny is really talented," I said, and then froze when the entire sausage fell out of my mouth.

Lottie and I locked gazes. To her credit, she managed to keep a straight face for all of two seconds before she lost it. Her mouth contorted and she burst into a fit of laughter that had her leaning on her arm, using the other hand to bang at the counter. I sat there, fighting between a grin at how sweet she was and a scowl because she was making fun of me.

"I'm sorry!" she managed to gasp. "Don't be embarrassed...I just - your face!" She started giggling again, her face turning pink from how hard she went at it. 

I raised my eyebrows and waited for her to calm down. It took several minutes of which I spent finishing my mini sausages and starting on the casserole dish of poutine.