5 ~ Sweet as a Sugar Cube

A/N: Dedicated to PhotographedYou for her lovely cover she made me :)

Chapter 5: Sweet as a Sugar Cube (Charlie)

Even as Clark walked me to my next class, my mind wandered over to his friend. Ben, was his name.

I had so many questions about him. Like why was he so standoffish? I probably annoyed him with the whole 'Benny' thing, true, but he didn't have to be so rude, right? There was definitely something else that was the problem.

"Charlie? Charlie!"

I glanced up at Clark and smiled. "Yes?"

"You didn't listen to a single word I said, did you?"

I bit my lip in embarrassment and turned my head. "I didn't even realise you were speaking," I mumbled.

He let out a bark of amused laughter that made me smile. What a patient guy, he didn't even mind my blatant ditziness. "I'll take that as a no, then?"

"I'm sorry!" I apologised quickly. "What did you say?"

"I asked you how in Davy Jones' locker am I supposed to take you to your lessons when I don't know what you have?"

I paused and then pivoted on my heel to grin at him. "Did Mr Manly just quote Spongebob?" I teased.

His cheeks slowly turned a light pink. "Ehm...I h-have two little brothers," he stammered, and upon seeing my amused face, he mock-glared. "Hey, you understood that reference, that makes you just as bad!"

I looked down at the Spongebob pendant I had hanging on my charm chain that my baby cousin had gotten for me, alongside my other lucky pendants. "Now, how is it possible that I know about Spongebob?" I asked slowly, purposefully dangling my necklace in front of his eyes.

Clark narrowed his eyes and pointed his finger at me. "Will you just tell me where your class is?"

"What's the matter?" I baited.

"I can't see my forehe--oh fuck!"

I wiggled my eyebrows. "Yes, Patrick?"

He waved me away. "Forget you," he grumbled, stomping ahead.

"Wait, Clark!" I called, taking longer strides to catch up with him. "I'm sorry, I was just teasi-"

"Chill, Charlie. I know." He flashed me a toothy grin. "Are you trying to avoid the question?"

"What question?"

"Where is your next class? I swear, I won't stalk you if it makes you that uncomfortable." He grinned.