Chapter 1: Surprise, Surprise

CHAPTER 1:

"What the fuck are you doing here? I asked my mother angrily. "Ebony, watch your mouth!" my grandmother yelled calling me by my real name. I usually wouldn't dare disrespect my elders, but this one definitely caught me by surprise. "Well, that's no way to greet your mother." my mom replied to me with a smirk. "Bi-." I had to stop myself for a second. "Deondra you're not my mother, I have a mother and she's right there." I said pointing to my grandmother. "Now again why are you here?" I asked getting annoyed by her presence. "I'm sick." she said. "And? So what? what does that have to do with me?" I replied. "I tested positive for H.I.V, and I don't know long I have left." she stated. "Oh well that's what happens when you sell your body for drugs & abandon your child. I don't feel bad for you DeDe." I stated. She lowered her head "Yeah, maybe I deserve that one, but I am still your fucking mother! You don't talk to me like a bitch on the street I know that I was DEAD ass wrong & I understand if you don't want to forgive me right now! But you will respect me, do you get it? My mom asked me. "I'm here now to fix things no matter what it takes." she finished. I'm not going to lie I know that my grandmother raised me better than this, but I can't help to just be infuriated. Every time I laid eyes on my mother it just brings out deep dark anger. I act like I don't care but that little girl in me still yearned for my mother. But I'll be dammed if I let her get close to me again just to hurt me, NAW I'm good. 

"Baby please just listen to your mother give her a chance, do it for me sugar" my grandmother said with tears in her eyes. That softened my heart a bit I hate seeing my grandmother cry. "What you need money?" I asked. "I just want you to forgive me, I want to have peace with, I've been clean for 3 years now, I had to get myself together for good before I came to make things right." she said. I laughed a bit. "If it's forgiveness you're looking for, you won't find it from me, it's a little too late for that." I said going inside of my purse. "Here." I said attempting to hand my mother 3 stacks. "Enjoy, because that's all you'll ever get from me." I spoke. "I told you I don't want your money!" She stated not accepting it. I went over and opened the front door. "Goodbye, Ebony! I hope one day you will change your mind." my mother spoke as she walked out of the door. I slammed the door behind her and turned to my grandmother. "Granny, how did she get in contact with you? How did she even find out where we live?" I asked.

"Ebony, you have to forgive your mother!" my grandmother assured me. "I just can't." "What about when I die huh? This cancer has got me beat and I'm tired of fighting this war, whatever GOD has in store for me I am ready for it. I know your mother has not been perfect and I'm not making excuses for her, I'm just saying think about it. And baby when my time is up, she's all that you got left." she said. "No granny don't say that you're not leaving me, I make sure that the doctors are paid for and that you get the best care, you have to keep fighting for me." I replied sadly and in a soft tone. "Baby you can't be so selfish, everybody gotta die one day, and soon it'll be my time doll baby." she said kissing my cheek before getting up & walking to her room.

I put my hair in a bonnet before I double wrapped it with a shower cap, I did not want to mess my hair up. I turned the water to the hottest it could be and set the mood just right. I took my time and lit every single Yankee candle, played some slow jams & I dipped into the hot soaking water. "Ahh!" I stated as I completely melted, my body never felt more relaxed. I sat back and reflected back on everything that happened today. I hate my mom but lowkey I miss her and want nothing more than to jump into her arms and kiss cheeks. Something I did every time she did show her face when I was a little girl. I just couldn't stop picturing all the nights I cried because she came, and the next morning was gone, to not be seen again for a couple months. 

* THE NEXT MORNING *

The warm sun woke me up out of my sleep, it was nothing better than the sun on my skin. I rose and stated on my hygiene before breakfast. As I did my face care, I thought about how I had two different lives that I was living. See me, I like to keep my business life and personal life separate. I'm two different people, I'm Ebony and then I'm Honey. Ebony, is the nice, sweet person that only a certain few got to see. She was nice, caring, loving and would give you her last. But Honey, nah she didn't give a fuck about you or your feelings. For the love of money, she would do anything, and if any bitch got in her way they would have to pay. I went and got breakfast started for my grandmother, cooking her favorites from scratch. That's right I can cook what did you think? I made homemade French toast, cheese eggs, and turkey bacon with a side of fruit salad. Oh, I couldn't forget my freshly squeezed orange juice. "Good morning, Granny." I state serving my grandmother breakfast in bed on her Cherry wood bed table. She got up and asked me to hand her the medicine. "Good Morning, suga thank you so much." she spoke smiling. My grandmother's voce was so heavenly it always put me in a safe mode. "I got you baby, don't worry." I said walking over handing her 3 different pills. She took the pills and started to dig in. "Baby, I don't like you leaving me in the house every day it's boring! I need to get out! You keep me cooped up."