Chapter 20

The shrill kettle whistled its signal to be relieved of its agony.

Chloe bounded into the kitchen, quickly yanking the cord out of the outlet. Immediately the kettle's steamy scream dropped dramatically, allowing her to pour its contents into a mug. She gently blew on the liquid, the steam wafting away from the current of her breath. One teaspoon of instant coffee with another of sugar. It wasn't perfect, but it hit the spot. She settled down into a chair at the kitchen table, the mug cradled in both hands.

"It's a little late for coffee, isn't it?" Emmett walked into the kitchen. He gazed, pointedly at the cup that Chloe had just taken a sip from.

"It's instant. I'm worried about Jamie and Lily. Have you heard anything from them recently?"

Emmett lifted a hand, running his fingers through his messy black hair. "I just got off the phone with Lily, I thought you'd want to know."

Chloe set down her mug. "What'd she say?"

"She found something," he explained, leaning against the counter. "It turns out the masterminds behind everything weren't as careful as they had thought. They left behind a trail. Something that connects the Winnipeg to Drumheller. She wasn't specific as to what."

Chloe felt her mouth fall open. "What? Did she say where it connected?"

Emmett nodded slowly. "It's a project that started years ago in a Winnipeg hospital basement. She thinks that the project never disbanded, as she thought. They just moved. Three guesses where."

"Drumheller." Chloe said, knowing where this conversation was headed. "Another hospital?"

Emmett nodded again, straightening up. "And I know which one too. It's across the city, about a ten minute drive."

Chloe screeched the chair back from the table, standing up. "Well come on then, let's go."

"What are you doing?" He seemed confused. Wasn't this what he was hinting at?

She crossed her arms. "Henry's not home at the moment. If we go to the hospital we can collect the evidence we need and get him arrested." Emmett didn't move. "Well? What are you waiting for?" She reached out and grabbed his wrist, pulling him towards the door. "I'm done with being useless. Let's go help our friends and save our skins, shall we?"

Emmett climbed into the driver seat of his car, Chloe sitting herself down next to him. He pulled the keys out of his pocket, insert them into the ignition, and turned the vehicle on. Minutes later, they were on the road and weaving through traffic. "I think... Yes," Emmett murmured to himself.

Chloe perched on the edge of her seat, anxiously looking for signs to where they might be headed. Neither of them spoke, nor did they notice the silence between them that was begging to be ended. Vehicles and the glare of streetlamps blurred past them as they cruised down the streets. Before too long, the car slowed to a stop behind a hospital.

"Is this it?" Chloe asked, dubiously.

"There's a door around back, it leads to the basement," Emmett replied simply. He leaned over the steering wheel, as though bracing himself for what they were about to do, staring up at the building as though he had never seen anything like it.

Chloe grasped the door handle, popping the door open and started climbing out. "Great. Let's go." Emmett grinned. He couldn't deny her hutzpah. He opened his door as well, and followed her to the back of the building.