Chapter 2

Lilly jerked to a sitting position at the sound of her screen door crashing closed. Had she locked it? She couldn't remember, having been so tired.

"Lilly?" A voice called. Jamie. Well, she was now wide awake, might as well get up.

"Jamie? Over here." She planted her feet on the floor, stretching her arms above her head. Jamie had this "thing" for breaking and entering. Although, he never broke, he just entered. That was fine by her anyhow, he was always welcome, even at... holy crap, six thirty in the morning.

"Can I ask you a question?" Lilly prodded, the moment his face poked around the corner.

"Sure."

"Why do you hate sleep?" Jamie chuckled, looking her up and down, taking in her disheveled clothes and tangled hair.

"Says the one who slept in blue jeans last night."

"I was dead tired, got back pretty late yesterday," she defended.

"I guess." he crossed his arms over his chest. "Speaking of which, how’d your date go last night? You said you'd tell me about it."

"Pretty well I guess." Lilly stood, finger-combing her hair. "Emmett took me to the Whistling Kettle. I've never even heard of that place before." She frowned, "Have you?"

"I've been there on occasion. Very cozy."

"Yeah, and they've got amazing pie," she grinned, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes and shuffling toward the kitchen. "I'm making tea. You want some?" Lilly opened a cupboard, revealing a jumble of cracker boxes, Kraft Dinner, and an assortment of teas.

"Actually, I wouldn't mind some coffee."

"One cup of coffee coming right up!" She pushed the button on the coffee maker; it gurgled and spat, before letting out a stream of the bitter black liquid. "So what brings you here, at the crack of dawn?"

"Coffee machine broke." Figures.

"So you came here instead of having it professionally made?" She lifted the glass pot, and poured the steaming coffee into a clean cup.

"There's nothing professional about twelve cups of water and two tablespoons of grounds," he wrinkled his nose in disgust. "Might as well be coffee-flavored tea."

"Mm m," she closed her eyes in mock-ecstasy. "I'd drink that, I love tea."

"I've noticed. That's all I ever see you drink."

"Hey," she wagged a finger at him disapprovingly. "Tea just so happens to be good for you." Jamie gave a short, sarcastic laugh.

"Not with all the sugar you heap into it."

"Didn't say it was always healthy," she took a sip from her cup. "Besides, it needs to taste good too."

"Cheers to that," he grinned, raising his glass. She clinked hers to his, and at the same time, took deep gulps from them.

"Ow," Lilly breathed, sucking in cold air into her lungs, "It's hot." Her throat was searing, maybe taking such a big mouthful was a bad idea.

"So, now that I've got you alone," Jamie looked down at the floor, eyes unfocussed and wandering. "There's something I've been meaning to ask you—" The phone interrupted him with a loud chirp.

"Hold that thought," she held up a finger, silencing him as she went to retrieve the phone. "Hello?" she asked, unsure of whom she was talking to. Caller ID was a little above her budget.

"Hey baby girl," she didn't recognize the voice. It was a deep, male voice, which was all she could gather.

"I'm sorry, but who is this?" Her knuckles on the hand clutching the phone, turned white in anxiety. Jamie was eying her warily.