Chapter 19

Lily didn't have to open her eyes to know that she was in a helicopter.

Her head throbbed, as though someone had pounded nails into it, and her back protested against the unnatural angle she had been placed into her seat. Actually, it was more like thrown. One arm had been bent at an awkward angle and her legs seemed to be tangled around themselves in the tiny space around her seat. The roar of the helicopter had been dulled because of some sort of hearing protection that had been placed over her ears. Over top of her body slung a seat belt, an object so out of place in the entire scene, it was almost comedic.

Carefully, while trying to keep up the illusion that she was still unconscious, she cracked open an eye as much as she dared. The sky was still quite dark, though it had seemed to have lightened a little since she last saw it. The light was coming from behind them as they flew further into the dark. This meant that they were heading east, out of Manitoba. She couldn't see her captor, it was too dark for that. It was clear that there was more space behind their seats. It echoed slightly with every slicing motion that the copter blades made. Jamie must have been tossed back there. She wondered if he was awake, as she was.

Not wanting to risk being caught, she closed her eyes once more, trying with all her might to keep her breathing level. She couldn't be sure what would happen to her if her captor found out that she was no longer subdued in the thralls of the chloroform. She lay there, aggressively ignoring the protests of her body, wishing for the first time that she was still unconscious.

Though her body kept up the appearance of being lifeless, her mind worked feverishly. There was no way to tell where exactly they were. She guessed that they were on their way back to Alberta, for what reason she couldn't be sure. She did know that her captor wasn't all that bright. Her arms and feet were unbound, as though he had assumed that she would stay under for the duration of the trip. Even if she could somehow incapacitate the driver, what could she possibly do? It wasn't as if she could fly the helicopter.

She thought about this for a good long while, contemplating her options until she realized that there was only one way to go. She didn't have to fly the helicopter necessarily. All she had to do was land it. It wouldn't be easy, or safe, but at the moment it seemed like her only option. In any case, it was way better than keeping up her charade until they finally got to where they were headed. She didn't know where they were being taken, but it didn't take a genius to know that she didn't want to wait to find out.

She lay in that position for another minute or so, preparing herself for what she was about to do. There was no room for any mistakes. She only had one shot and she was determined to not blow it.

It must have been quite the shock for the pilot, to see his unconscious passenger suddenly come alive and lunging towards his face. She grabbed his head and slammed it against the back of his seat.

"Shit!" He swore, trying to fend off her attack and maintain control of the copter's flight. The vehicle bobbed in the air, making Lily's stomach lurch uncomfortably. She fumbled with her seatbelt, which was restraining her reach. The moment she got it off, the pilot was ready for her, his trunk of an arm pushing her back down into her seat. "Sit down you little bitch!" He yelled, as the chopper veered to the side.

She threw his arm off her body, and lunged toward his face again. This time, she aimed for his eyes. With all that was going on, she didn't see his elbow, which was headed directly toward her head. It connected, and she was thrown back over to her side of the vehicle with great force. Her head exploded with pain, and she was overtaken by the blackness once more.