Chapter 7

"A suicidal rampage?" Mackenzie stared at Lilly, dumbstruck, over her steaming coffee cup. They were sitting in a deserted corner of a coffee shop. The atmosphere was a bit dank, with fluorescent lights flickering every once and a while. A couple flies buzzed half-heartedly against the gritty window. Despite the dust and darkness, the coffee was really quite good.

"His exact words," Lilly said, eyes downcast, tracing the cracks in the table with her eyes. It had only happened a couple days ago, but every detail was still fresh in her head. It still stung to think about it. "I don't know what got into him."

"Maybe it's his time of the month?" Mackenzie asked with a grin. "Whatever his issue is, don't worry about it. He didn't mean to hurt you; that much I know."

"Yeah," Lilly shook her head vigorously, trying to shake some sense into it. "Of course he didn't, you're right, Kenzie."

"Damn right I am!" She sat up straighter, all proud of herself. "And don't you forget it!" Lilly beamed, her cheek muscles stretching to accommodate it. "Hey, that guy loves you, don't forget that either. He is good, and I swear he didn't change overnight. Emmett just wants to keep you safe."

"I know," Lilly said, taking a sip of her hot, bitter coffee. "But enough about him, how have you been doing? Heard you got a new job?"

"Way to change the subject," Mackenzie grinned, setting her cup down on the table. "But yeah, I'm a receptionist at the museum now. Better pay than waitressing I can tell you that much."

"Well, that's good. I'm proud of you. Now you can maybe pay off your rent."

"Mhm, it's not fun being single," she frowned. "Hot, single rich guys are hard to come by. How'd you manage to find yours?"

"I am likely to tell you," Lilly shook her head disapprovingly at her friend. "If you did get one you'd abuse him!"

"Would not!" Her mouth gaped open in amazement. "And Emmett must've paid off your debt at least a couple times! Credit cards pile up easily!"

"Actually, no he hasn't. This brings us back to the reason why nobody should ever let you near sporting events..."

"Or a club," Mackenzie chortled. "He's gotta be fun too!"

"You know what? Why don't we just build you one?! You've come up with quite the inventory for this guy."

"Nah," she shrugged, rolling her eyes. "He only has to be rich; single; hot and a really good kisser. Not necessarily in that order."

"So... anybody in mind?" She asked, jokingly.

"Oh, Taylor Lautner, definitely."

Lilly couldn't help but laugh. "Is he rich?"

"Who cares? It's Taylor Lautner!"

They laughed together for a while, and talked about other things. Lilly never told her about the message she found on her answering machine. It would only worry her. Mackenzie was her best friend, but it wasn't worth the stress she'd be causing just by telling her; even though he was probably waiting for her to step out of line so he could finish her off, like he did her parents.

~*~_~*~_~*~

The stars twinkled in the night sky like little white, sparkling diamonds.

Jamie lay on a soft grassy hill located just outside the city. The dew that was starting to collect on the blades of the grass was starting to soak through the back of his shirt. The night was cool on the skin, but he felt warm all over with the most beautiful girl curled up in his chest.