Chapter 4

Over the course of the week, life was as normal as Lily could ever hope it to be. There were no mysterious notes, phone calls, or anything else out of align.

Money was beginning to get tight, though. Maybe it was time for a better job. She refused to mooch off of Henry any longer when her financial needs were in distress. Although sending her helpful cash every once and a while when needed, she felt guilty for sucking him dry. Even if he could afford it, she felt the guilt weigh down on her. He would bend over backwards to keep her comfortable, and she wouldn't have any of it. She could fend for herself.

The phone rang shrilly, making Lily pull her hands from the soapy dishwater and pluck the crying phone with soaking hands. Unlike the way she used to live, in fear, she clicked it on without worry.

"Hello?"

"Hey Lils," A familiar voice sounded. Well, how uncanny. It was Henry.

"Oh hey! How's it going?" She gushed into the mouthpiece.

"It's lonely without you here Lily." He sounded so sad that Lily felt horrible. She didn't mean to neglect her only family. She'd been so busy ever since she moved in.

"I'm so, so sorry Henry! You know I couldn't forget about you, right? I've been so busy, with unpacking, job hunting— you know how it is." She hoped he could hear the sympathy and regret in her voice. Just as she wished, his voice softened a little.

"I understand, it's all good. I called to see if you wanted to come over for dinner today? I'm making German food, your favorite." A smile slipped into its familiar groove. She absolutely adored German food. There were a couple of girls who had just moved to town from Germany a few months prior, that she'd befriended. The few times that she'd paid them a visit; they served her such exquisite food, that she practically forced Henry to learn how to do it. Once he learned, however, he was almost better than the German themselves.

"Well then! I guess I'll see you there!"

"Oh! One more thing before you hang up. I would very much like it if you brought your new boyfriend." He wanted to meet Emmett? That couldn't be good. "Don't worry," he said, as if noticing her hesitation. "I just wanna meet the fellow." It couldn't hurt, could it?

"Sure. We'll be there, six O'clock?"

"You know it."

"Great! See you later. Love you."

He chuckled. "Love you too, Lils. Bye."

She sighed; she spent far too much time on the phone. How long would it be until she could start living her life? Her everyday life was, well, in a rut. She crossed her fingers, wishing for life to become more interesting .

~*~

Lily's mouth watered as she bit down into a cottage cheese perogy. Veranika, the Germans called it. It was pronounced Ver-an-ik-ya, rolling the "r". The language was so weird, the words they said as well as the way they said them. They tried teaching her once, but failed miserably. Just as well, she would stick with English; it was easier.

Ugh, Lily rolled her eyes inwardly. The things that ran through her head when everything was silent. Uncle Henry sat, contentedly chewing his food, eyes trained on Emmett, as if trying to read his every thought; not that there would be much to read at the moment.

"Iss is illy uud!" He managed to say, mouth packed so full she was concerned it would all spill out.

"Emmett dear, swallow," she said as sweetly as she could without disgust creeping into her voice. It took a few seconds before he managed to swallow it all down.