The Servants

*Drew*

I discovered that around the castle, vampires don't wear there fancy clothing. They wear normal clothes. So I felt somewhat normal as I aimlessly wandered around the huge palace.

Yeah, Zayn told me I don't need to walk around by myself. But since when do I follow rules?

I somehow ended up in what looked like a kitchen. Several young servant girls were rushing to get things done.

"Who are you?" One of them sneered at me with her hand on her hip.

"I'm Drew." I said with a smile. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

"L-Lady Drew, I apologize f-for my t-tone. I was unaware of who y-you are." She stuttered, terrified of what I might do. I chuckled.

"It's fine." I shrugged it off and sat at the small counter. "What's your name?"

"Veronica, Lady Drew." She answered.

"Just call me Drew." I told her.

"The Prince ordered that we refer to you as Lady Drew." She told me.

"Well, I don't care what he said. You call me Drew from now on. If he has a problem with it, tell him it was my request." I instructed. She looked nervous but agreed. "So what is this? The kitchen?"

"The servants' kitchen." She replied. "The kitchen for the vampires is much larger, La- I mean, Drew."

"How did you become a servant?" I inquired.

"Most of us came here out of desperation. Our families died, so this was our last resort. You can't complain, though. We have two meals a day and a roof over our heads."

"Two meals a day?" I asked in surprise. "What do they feed you?"

"We get bread, cheese, and water." She told me.

"That's ridiculous." I shook my head. "What are the servants' quarters like?" I questioned.

"I can show them to you, if it's fine with the Prince." She offered.

"Then lets go." I decided. She led me out of the palace and down a sidewalk that had tall fences on both sides. We eventually reached a small cabin.

I was disgusted at their living accommodations. They had bunk beds that were rusted and falling apart. Their were six bunks, so twelve people lived in this small cabin. There was one bathroom, that didn't even have a mirror. They didn't have a kitchen. The floor was rotting boards that creaked with every step. Several of the windows were shattered, letting a draft come in.

"This is horrible." I mumbled.

"We're lucky to have this much." She disagreed.

"No, this is terrible. I'm bringing this up next time I speak to Zayn. I will get the servants better living conditions." I said firmly. "And I can't believe he has you trained to disagree when people talk bad about how he treats you. This is horrible." I muttered.

"Trained? We aren't trained." She was obviously lying.

"Sweetheart, I'm not stupid. I know that on the inside you have so many opinions bottled up, but you're scared to say them. I know that when you came here, you were instructed to never speak bad about the Royals." I told her.

"H-How do you know all that?" She stammered.

"I don't. You just told me." I replied. "We should probably be getting back before someone notices our absence." I suggested. She silently followed behind me as I went back to the Palace.