Chapter 4

Six weeks went by and we didn't get to see him or know where he was. No letters, phone calls and life just got incredibly hard.

Gus had left to go sort his own family out. His brother was recovering but Gus had only got to see him for 5 minutes and hadn't seen his wife since the airport. I was terrified that they were moved out of the country again but Gus said they weren't.

I had ran out of money for everything, food, bills, nappies, clothes for the kids who were growing to fast for me to keep up. I went back to work and my mum watched the kids a few days a week after school and the rest of the time Bob and Cilla them or Tyson. They had enough with their own children to look after and her mother who was back in hospital with an infection. Tyson was finally back with Louisa so I was determined not to be a distraction for them.

I left work after another exhausting day and by the time I got to my mothers to collect the children I was falling off my feet.

"Shannon, this job is too much for you," my mother said.

"Please mum, don't say that as you will make me cry again and the kids will get upset. We need the money," I said. She gave me a telling look that only mothers can give.

"Logan, no!" my father said.

I went to see what he was doing.

"You silly arse," My dad said shaking his head.

"What?" I asked. "He has ate a box of liqueurs."

"Logan!" I said as Logan sat on the stairs covered in chocolate and smiling his drunk face off.

"He's gonna sleep well," my dad said with a giggle.

I shook my head, got the kids into their coats and headed off home. My father only had a two seater and my mum's car had broke down so we walked there and back on the days they had them.

My mum had fed the kids for me and gave me some when I got there which was always welcomed. She also made little pack lunches for the kids for school the next day and my dad had paid my phone bill to keep the line open in case Liam rang. My parents even paid for the cat and dog food. I kept a note of it all so I could pay them back as soon as I could.

We arrived home to a freezing cold house as I couldn't afford to keep the heating on during the day when we weren't there and the boiler was playing up but I couldn't afford to get an engineer in to look at it. I put the fire on and we watched a film all cuddled up together under a blanket. I filled up their hot water bottles and put them in their beds ready. Soon they were all asleep and I carried them up one by one. Turned out the light and went to sleep.

The next day at work I received a call from Tyson.

"Shan, sorry to disturb you but there is a visitors pass here for Liam. It is for tomorrow and it will take a few hours to get there so I can give you a lift," he said excitedly.

"What, I can't go tomorrow. I have work, it is an event and I can't get out of it," I said and nearly burst into tears.

Tyson was quite on the end of the line.

"Look Tyson you will have to go," I whispered as the open plan office ear wigs were listening.

"Shan..." Tyson answered.

"Just go," I said and hung up.

The office asshole gave me the 'was that a personal call' look and I ignored her by turning back to my screen and typing away.

When I got home I knew Tyson would be waiting to talk to me as I collected the kids from Bob and Cilla.

"Don't start Tyson, I can't get off work," I said grabbing the kids and leaving as I tried not to cry because I had asked and was told no way. I walked in and out of Cilla's in less than a minute. When I got across the road to the house, I closed the door, put the catch on so no one could walk in and put the TV on for the kids. I had a rule that I would handle things alone and not to come over unless invited as I had enough going on, plus I couldn't afford to supply endless tea and coffee all day. By the time I finished work, I needed alone time with the kids and straight to bed.