Chapter 17- Broken Part I

Author’s note: I dedicate this chapter to TiffanieKettererWils for being a wonderful reader, a recent fan, and also for being close when guessing what would happen to Jacob in chapter 13 :) Thanks for being so awesome!

So as you can tell (from the emails you would have received) that this is a double post! Merry Christmas everyone!!! I hope you enjoy my present :P As I said before, the combination of these chapters is yet another of my favourites because it shows a scene we never saw (only heard about) in canon, plus it would now be quite a different scene given the events in ‘Trust me’! So I’m sure you’ve worked out which part I’m referring to by now. So in writing this chapter, I wanted to show Edward’s perspective on these events and also incorporate how Jake’s stay with Cullens may have changed their interaction. And although it is one of my favourites, I found it quite difficult to write because there is a huge array of emotions throughout, and I was trying to keep it as realistic as possible. Consequently, I’d be very interested to hear what you guys think of my version of what likely happened after the battle :) And just to clarify, the events that occur between Jacob leaving the mountain top and the beginning of this chapter are identical to canon. Happy reading! I can’t wait to hear what you think!

‘Trust me’

Chapter 17- Broken Part I

Edward’s POV

“They managed to get Jacob to phase back,” I informed Carlisle as we ran towards the Black’s house. From where I was, I could just pick up Jacob’s thoughts, and due to the complexity of his emotions, I knew he was human again.

“Can you hear their plan?” Carlisle whispered to me.

I paused, listening intently to Sam’s mind, for his was the one I could recognize the easiest aside from Jacob’s, knowing that Jacob’s mind was preoccupied with his pain, which I was trying to avoid.

“He’s not thinking about it at the moment; he is talking to Charlie,” I reported back to my father.

“We must be discreet,” Carlisle responded as he considered possible ways of accounting for Jacob’s extensive injuries without bringing werewolves and vampires into the story.

Finally, Sam began telling Charlie what had happened: a motorbike accident.

“They have decided that Jacob was injured in a motorbike accident,” I informed Carlisle.

“Very well then. Where is he now?”

I tried to look through Sam’s eyes, but his back was facing away from the centre of the room. I switched to Charlie’s- not an easy task and saw that 5 members of the pack, Charlie and Billy were all squished into the one room, where Jacob was lying on a portable bed much too small for him. I told Carlisle what I saw hurriedly for we were almost at La Push.

“We will need to transport Jacob to a private room before we examine him properly- I do not think it would be good for Charlie to hear the extent of Jacob’s injuries. I will briefly look over him and then tell Charlie he will be fine-”

“I can then tell him that Bella should be home soon and she doesn’t know about Jacob- that will give him an excuse to leave,” I contributed to Carlisle’s plan, knowing full well that Bella already knew Jacob was seriously injured, but nevertheless, it was the only plausible excuse I could think of.

“Good idea,” Carlisle commended me.

Finally, a small house which we knew to be the Black’s came into our view. Remembering that we were supposed to have only just returned from a camping trip, Carlisle and I knocked on the door rather than barged in like we both desired to do.