Chapter 6- Help him

Author’s note: Thank you SO much to everyone who has commented and voted; I really appreciate it :) And thank you to all the new people who are commenting and letting me know what they think! It’s great to hear from you :) Can you believe that this is the 3rd time I have updated this week? Nice work guys! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

‘Trust me’

Chapter 6- Help him

Bella’s POV

I was relieved when Alice told me that Edward found Jacob, but it was infuriating she could not tell me anything further! Edward told me he would come back once he found Jake, but he didn’t- he couldn’t. Had something happened to him? Or to Jacob? Not even Alice knew, or if she did, she lied smoothly about it. I was trying fruitlessly to fall asleep for the last 3 hours, but I kept waking up in a cold sweat wondering where Edward could be. After everything that happened in Italy, we were more tightly bound than I ever thought possible. Yet only 2 days had passed since we returned to Forks, and once again he was not lying with me as I drifted off to sleep. I felt empty without him, and worried for him and Jake. I knew he couldn’t stand being away from me unless he absolutely had to, so I knew something serious must have happened to keep him away.

It was 3:30 in the morning when I woke with a start, staring at the red highlights of my clock. I ran my fingers through my hair as I turned over to try to fall back to sleep- an image of Edward’s face had woken me up. One moment my room was dark and still and then the next, Edward was standing there, his pale face glowing in the light of the moon.

“Edward,” I breathed, relieved that he was with me now. I felt wide awake, even though I barely had any sleep.

Edward moved quickly over to me, gracefully lay on my bed and wrapped his strong arms around me, pulling me close to him.

“I missed you so much,” he whispered in my ear as he inhaled the smell of my hair.

“I missed you too,” I said dreamily, about to close my eyes; things were how they should be. But then, remembering the mystery surrounding his whereabouts for the last few hours, I sat up so I could see into Edward’s eyes, which were a beautiful honey colour again.

“You had the chance to feed,” I pointed out smiling; he had insisted, since getting back from Italy that he would not hunt because he wanted to spend every minute of his existence with me. I told him the idea was foolish- that making himself thirsty would not help either of us and does not make up for the suffering we both went through this past year. But he ignored me, shaking his head and smiling his crooked smile, saying that time was too precious.

“Yes,” Edward answered rather stiffly as if disappointed with himself, but not wanting to show it.

“It’s okay,” I reassured him. “You need to feed and I’m glad you did. Is that where you went after you found Jacob?” I asked, trying to catch his eye, but he wouldn’t look at me.

“Edward,” I said gently, moving my hand to touch his cold face- his eyes closed at my touch and his left hand rested on top of mine as he pressed it to his cheek. “What is it?”

Edward pulled my hand away and held it in both of his hands. We were both sitting up, facing one another on my bed, and I could see a sadness in his eyes that I couldn’t explain.

But before I could ask him if he was still beating himself up over leaving me tonight to feed, he spoke, his cool breath brushing across my face.