Chapter 13- Don't push me...

Author’s note: I want to thank everyone who tried to guess what happens to Jake in this chapter. Interestingly, those who were closest are all people who have already been dedicated a chapter and they all have graciously allowed someone else to be dedicated instead. But well done to CassandraLowery, sentinelangel and MAKcullen! So, I dedicate this chapter to TammyHaller for being the next quickest to guess correctly what happens to Jacob in this chapter. Well done!  This chapter is different from the others; there’s a bit of action! So I am very interested to hear what you think of it! Happy reading!

‘Trust me’

Chapter 13- Don’t push me; it’s not worth my life… or yours

Edward’s POV

I stayed at Bella’s for a couple of hours after her visit with Jacob. We didn’t discuss Jacob’s love for her- something of which myself, as well as my entire family heard very clearly- but I could tell she was worried about what Jacob may do to try to prove his point. For the moment, I wasn’t so concerned; the wolf was in my domain for now and more importantly, Bella loved me and that was all that mattered. When I returned home around 5 o’clock in the evening, I could smell Rosalie and Emmett’s scents as well as Jasper and Alice’s. I knew the latter couple were due to hunt today and wondered whether the four of them had met in the forest that surrounds our property. I hoped that Jasper and Alice would have the sense not to bring the others back home just yet, or at the very least, warned them that Jacob was still with us; surely they could be reasoned with to wait one more night?

When I arrived home to discover that my siblings had not returned, I went up to Jacob’s room and found him lying down on the bed staring up at the ceiling, lost in thought. He was thinking about Bella and various ways of spending time with her that may trigger her ‘true’ feelings for him. I resented him for forming such schemes, but then I realised he had nothing better to do. I hoped that when he was free to go back to La Push, he wouldn’t think about Bella so much. In any case, I left him to his thoughts. I visited Jacob every hour just to make sure he was feeling okay. Neither of us mentioned what he said to Bella even though he knew I overheard. He didn’t want to discuss it and neither did I, so we left it at that.

I spent the rest of the afternoon speaking to my family, including my apprehension about the possibility that Emmett and Rosalie may return that night. Carlisle reassured me that if they did, we would all deal with it at the time. I played the piano to get the possibility off my mind; I knew Rosalie and Jacob in the same room would not be a good idea given Rosalie’s attitude towards werewolves and anyone else who made her precious life more difficult than it had to be. It worked for the most part, and was relieved they still had not arrived when, as promised, Esme called Jacob down to the dining room for a huge serving of spaghetti bolongese. I went upstairs to make sure Jacob was okay walking, keeping in mind that he had hardly stood up for more than a minute at a time the last three days, so the stairs may be difficult for him. I needn’t have worried; the smell of dinner kept Jacob motivated, eventually seating himself at the table without any assistance from me.

“I hope you like it,” Esme said, her hands interlocked with one another, evidently nervous.

Jacob sprinkled a handful of cheese over his meat, grabbed a fork and ate like- well like an animal. He was starving and as I watched him eat, I felt guilty for not having fed him anything prior to this. Carlisle was thinking the same thing. Thankfully our negligence did not appear to have done any serious damage.

When Jacob was about two-thirds through his spaghetti, I could hear Rosalie and Emmett’s thoughts; they were about 100 meters away from the front door. I could not hear Jasper or Alice’s- I was wrong in assuming they had crossed paths. Rosalie and Emmett felt certain that Jacob would have recovered by now, so were returning with a plan to surprise us. I suspected that when they approached closer to the house they would be able to smell their mistake. Sure enough, they were twenty metres away when Rosalie detected the stench of wolf.