Chapter 4- Breathe

Author's note: Here's chapter 4! I hope you all enjoy it! I'll save the other things I'd like to say until the end. In the mean time, happy reading!!!

Trust me

Chapter 4- Breathe

Jacob’s POV

My eye lids felt heavy- I swear my brain was still sleeping. Yet somehow, I was waking up when I knew I didn’t want to. But before I could find Edward and demand how I was waking up when I felt beyond tired, my head exploded or so it felt like.

I yelled out, only to immediately regret it as I took in a mouthful of vampire stench. I forced myself to keep my eyes shut as I shuddered to think who was surrounding me, their faces looking down at me as if I were some weak creature they should have pity on. I didn’t know how long I was asleep for but surely the doctor had managed to do something to at least get rid of the pain? I swore to myself; what had they been doing all this time?

Even though I yelled out, no one had spoken yet, which I thought was strange. Forcing myself to be calm, keeping my eyes shut helped, I realised that there was whispering surrounding me. The bloodsuckers were speaking amongst themselves again.

Hey! I shouted in my thoughts.

Immediately I felt Edward by my side.

“Carlisle has been giving you pain killers, but due to you having a higher body temperature than humans, they burn up before they have time to affect you,” Edward explained, getting straight to the point like I hoped he would.

Great. I sighed to myself (and to Edward I guess). This really was going to be a living hell.

My nose stung as another scent entered the room- it didn’t take long to determine who it was.

“Is Jacob awake?” It was the doc.

“Yes," another male voice replied- probably Jasper or whatever his name was.

“Thank you,” Carlisle replied to his ‘son’ and then I heard him walk towards me.

Thank you? I questioned myself. Why thank the vampire? I was the one who woke up!

I heard Edward take a breath beside me as if he were about to answer, but Carlisle spoke to me. I had difficulty deciphering the doc’s words as a fresh wave of pain attacked me.

“I am sorry that I have been unable to relieve you of your pain, Jacob,” the doctor said in a tone I felt was sincere.

I didn’t reply- I didn’t breathe; I was trying to get through the pain without making it worse with vampire stench.

He continued. “As Edward explained, the painkillers burn off almost as quickly as I give them to you. I have another strategy that may help, but I would like to perform a couple of check-ups first.”

Why couldn’t you do that when I was sleeping!?

I felt Edward stiffen beside me.

To my surprise, the doctor read my facial expression pretty well and replied to my thought:

“I needed you to be awake so you can tell me how certain things feel and to give your consent to treatment.”

God if his smell didn’t make my nose and mouth burn, I would give the creature a piece of my mind- it was as if he blamed me for sleeping!

“That wasn’t your fault,” Edward whispered apparently apologetic. “Jasper was trying to relieve you of your pain, if only for a short while.”