CHAPTER 13.1: Rooftop over the Middens

Over the next few days, Saknoti tore apart The Art of Knighthood. No detail was too small to escape his notice. From the care of feet to the proper tactics to employ against spearmen, axemen, swordsmen, or horsemen, the sailor harshly criticized, or gave more complete discourse, on numerous passages in Conradin’s manual.

He’s Uncle Aldon’s kindred soul.

The diminutive sailor subjected Cal’s swordsmanship to the same harsh treatment. He had thought he had grasped the basic principles of Saknoti’s foreign style while on the Maiden, but he was sadly mistaken. The sailor had merely taught Cal to adjust to the ocean. His strange swordsmanship included a myriad of techniques that Cal had never seen before.

Calidon’s diligence, and thirst to learn, persuaded Saknoti to reveal even the secret craft of his family’s swordsmanship. But, the sailor’s foreign methods were so different from Cal’s previous training that, within a week, he decided to rebuild his pupil’s skills from the ground up.

This process frustrated Cal. He had always excelled in swordsmanship. For the first time, he found himself uncertain and awkward. Often, he would revert to the style he knew so well when Saknoti pressed him during drills. At first, the sailor would simply issue a terse reminder; but, as the younger man persisted in his behavior, Saknoti began to demand that Cal perform some petty chore every time old techniques crept into his swordplay.

After one unproductive session, Cal vented his frustration at the old slave after Saknoti had retreated to his study. When he had first heard the slave’s tale, he had treated the old man with an unusual degree of deference. But, as the withered man continued to submit to Saknoti’s whims, the Cal’s respect waned. He no longer paid much attention to the slave. On this day, however, small cuts inflamed the palm of the squire’s left hand after the jewels on his sword hilt wore through the rawhide wrapping.

As Cal washed cooking pots with the old slave, he forced his tender wounds into the soapy water and muttered, “I’m a knight—not a knave”.

The slave rebuked him, “Your mind is sick with desire to win. You will begin to learn only after you free yourself from disease. Until then, you not worthy to wash pots.”

“WHAT?!?” demanded Cal in a mixture of surprise, outrage and confusion.

The old man tersely replied, “No Mind.”

After uttering this cryptic phrase, the slave returned to his task in silence. Over the next hour, Cal cajoled, pleaded and demanded that the slave explain his statement. The slave ignored him and went about his chores. He behaved as if the young man did not exist.

Rather than causing Cal to dismiss the entire incident, the slave’s behavior only increased his introspection. How is wanting to win a disease? Losing is fatal. Do I have to die before I can learn?

The next day, Cal and Saknoti faced one another on the patio. Just as the young man prepared to cross swords with his mentor, the sailor said, “Is disease to be obsessed with attacking opponent. Also disease to be stuck on idea of perfect defense. It is disease to think of nothing but winning. Fearing to lose is another disease. Even worse is desire to display your swordsmanship. Trying to rid yourself of all disease is disease. All these diseases are rooted in mind: an obsessed mind that thinks only one thing.”

Saknoti took a deep breath and added, “Until you achieve No Mind, your sword will be sick.”

“How do I rid my mind from these diseases?”

“Disease is wish. A single, obsessive wish. If you then wish to get rid of disease, mind now thinking two things. Therefore, you get rid of wish by making another wish.”