CHAPTER 7: Grelig's Scheme

SEVEN: Grelig’s Scheme

There are Five Traits of Kings that can bring Tragedy to the Kingdom:

He who wishes to Live, is quick to Surrender;

He who is touched by Anger, invariably Blunders;

He who Reveres the Gods, will suffer Disgrace;

He who fancies Leisure, can be Beguiled;

He who Loves, knows Fear

He who lacks any of these, however, cannot Rule.

—Orlon 3:12 The Craft of Kings

Cal felt Alynde’s hand stiffen in his palm as they approached Dannik-town. Should she keep quiet about Henrick’s attack? Or, should she tell her fatherthe whole story?

Cal knew Alynde had a lot to consider in a short time, and decided she needed somewhere to think. He immediately changed his course, and led her through the woods toward the ruined imperial fort where they used to play as children. When he sat her down on a mossy stone block, she started to cry.

Cal could not tolerate her grief. He had to say something. “I swear; I will kill the bastard. Just give me the word.”

Alynde’s tears fell even faster.

Cal could think of nothing to do other than hold her in his arms. He was ashamed to find that he enjoyed the physical contact with her. Though her face was now fuzzy, her skin felt soft to his touch and her clean feminine scent filled his nostrils. A strong, protective feeling swelled his pride.

“Alynde...we have to talk. You’ve got to stop crying.”

Alynde's body stiffened. She looked at Cal as if he had betrayed her. Her eyes flitted across his male form and her mouth hardened into a disgusted sneer.

“Why? Why did he do it?” she demanded. “He didn’t even ask me. He just attacked.”

Cal shook his head. He did not understand his brother’s motives either. The offended squire could not take his eyes off the red welt that had gradually spread over the right side of Alynde’s jaw. How could he do that to her?

“One moment he was a gentleman. The next he was...he tried...damn him!”

“Forget about his reasons. We have to decide what we’re going to tell your family.”

Alynde stopped crying, as a fearful spasm crossed her face.

“Why tell any anyone?”

Inside himself, Cal agreed. He wanted the problem to disappear. The young squire shifted his weight, slamming the jeweled hilt of his sword against his skull. How can I want anything but vengeance?

He raised a dutiful objection, “I cannot let him attack you and do nothing...”

Her flat voice interrupted him, “I have to.”

His eyes ran over her tense posture and the determined clench of her jaw. Her mind is made up.

Relief flooded Cal. The tense knot in his stomach washed away. Despite his anger, he was still a Baron’s son. His tutors had burned political pragmatism into his brain since childhood. Alynde could touch off a hideous chain of events if she revealed that Henrick had tried to rape her.

Cal let her convince him.

                                                          *     *     *