CHAPTER 7.1: Grelig's Scheme

Cal sputtered, “I...I don’t understand.”

Grelig replied, “YES. There is much you do not understand. Why can you not accept what you are told?”

The full import of his father’s words smashed into Cal’s consciousness. His rage at Henrick instantly doubled and transferred to his father.

You cold, bloodless bastard.

“Why?” Cal’s single word carried a mountain of contempt.

“Why?” echoed an outraged Grelig. “Are you blind? Helvig wants to butcher us!”

“Then make war on him. Any honorable man would.”

The Baron’s anger overwhelmed his ability to speak. With visible difficulty, Grelig regained his composure and answered with rigid calm. “We’d lose an honorable war. Helvig’s knights already outnumber us two to one. He could even hire a horde of Cünetarí tribesmen as mercenaries, if he ignores the danger.”

Cal fell silent, numbed by his father’s admission. Grelig continued, “To make war on Helvig; I need to strike quickly, to destroy him before he can gather his forces. But, the moment my troops cross the border, every nearby farmer will run for Granmouth to send word up Helvig’s messenger post.”

Grelig drew a breath. “I solved the problem by bribing Granmouth’s Mayor. He’ll have a stableman poison the horses’ oats so that no message gets to Helvig’s castle. I also have a bandit group in place along the post route. They demanded enormous bribes—bribes that I cannot pay because I have emptied the treasury strengthening the castle and equipping dragoons over the last three years.”

Grelig paused dramatically, and then said, “The obvious solution was to ‘borrow’ it from the Exchequer when we had our fair. That’s why I dumped loads of silk on the market. The panic gave me a reason to close the fair. That way, I could buy the Mayor with the money from the treasury.”

“Your plan will only work for a few days. The merchants will demand their money back!”

“Of course. That’s why Aldon is going to launch a sneak attack against Helvig’s castle. We’ll pay the merchants with Dorrin’s silver.”

“No one can take a castle that fast...”

“Helvig’s Master Architect discovered an obscure cave complex with a fault line that extends right under Dorrin’s castle. Kapur bought him years ago. The Architect ordered his workmen to prospect for iron right along the fault. Of course, he also demanded an enormous bribe. The curtain wall, the outer bailey and even Dorrin’s keep are undermined. By now, all that’s holding up the tunnels are wooden supports. When he fires the mine, the walls will collapse.”

Henrick gloated, “Helvig’s garrison won’t even get out of bed before they’re dead.”

Cal objected, “But our knights are here—waiting to joust!”

Grelig answered, “Did you fail to notice that the guardsmen left in the castle are all raw recruits? The dragoons rode south. The last four days, small patrols have been leaving and never coming back.”

As far as Cal knew, no Baron had ever stormed a castle using such tactics. His father relied on footmen alone to bring him victory. No one would believe Grelig could start a war while his belted knights feasted at his table.

“Subtly, Cal, has never been your strong point,” Henrick added in a strange alloy of cynicism, relish, and despair.

Cal pressed two fingers against his skull, needing to read the subtle facial expressions of his father and brother. When his vision cleared, he demanded, “Why did Henrick have to rape Alynde?”