CHAPTER 5: Tussels in the Hay

FIVE: Tussles in the Hay

Since every Man thinks of himself before all Others, no earthly Order can act wholly for its own Benefit.

—Caraazor 1:6 The Alchemy of War

Broad shafts of light penetrated the gloom of Grelig’s Throne Room, slanting down from small open windows high above. Scalcus Long, the gray-haired exchequer, knelt before Grelig. Faint cries from the marketplace wafted into the hall in intermittent spurts, breaking the studied silence.

Ponderously, Grelig lifted one battered hand to his beard and said, “Tell me about the marketplace.”

The Exchequer’s shoulders slumped. His eyes darted to the vaulted ceiling above, roving over the graceful pillars holding back massive stones. The fragile-looking ceiling made Scalcus Long feel as if a mountain pressed down upon him.

His eyes came to rest on the face of his master. “Can you not hear...m’lord?”

Grelig’s burly shoulders hunched beneath his rich cloak and he grunted once.

The Exchequer continued, “Our fair is collapsing! Rumors are flying that the treasury has been robbed. The merchants are withdrawing their silver and leaving! We can still stop it...if we show that the Treasury has plenty of...”

“Must we close the fair?”

“Not yet, it’s not that bad,” assured the harried Exchequer. “We must...”

The Baron hissed, “Do nothing! Tell me when everyone knows that the market has to be closed.” The Exchequer said nothing, but made no move to leave.

“Your audience is over, Lord Exchequer.”

The frantic Exchequer rose. His narrow arms and pipe-stem legs trembled like an archer who had held his bowstring nocked far too long a time. He walked toward the entrance on unsteady legs, while glancing back at the Baron multiple times. He clearly hoped his Lord would call him back. Grelig gave him no such summons.

The unhappy Exchequer left the hall.

Baron Grelig turned to his page and said, “Bring me Sir Aldon.”

                                                            *   *   *

Aldon arrived in the council chamber a few minutes after receiving Grelig’s summons. The Baron sat at the far end of the long conference table, his bearded face echoed by its distorted reflection in the polished surface. Lapian and Kapur stood behind him.

The loyal Knight-commander took a seat at Grelig’s right hand, stiffening his spine to conform to the tall, strait-backed wooden seat. Aldon’s facial muscles twitched as he strove to blank all expression from his face.

His brother’s facial gymnastics disturbed Grelig. He is not comfortable with Kapur’s plan.

The Baron asked his brother, “How are your guardsmen holding up?”

“Adequate, but there have been few problems so far.”

“Can they handle real trouble if you are not here?”

Aldon’s lips seemed ready to shape the word “yes”, but then closed into a grim line. He looked Grelig in the eye and minutely shook his head. “It’s a big risk.”

“It’s a risk that we have to...”

“Nonsense!” objected Steward Lapian. His long white hair shook from the agitated bobbling of his head as he spat the words. “We have no..real...proof....that.....”