Part 8- Loneliness

I waved goodbye to Louis and Harry, before closing the door, and collapsing on the couch. I muffled my cries with a pillow; I was all alone again. I knew this had been my life for 2 and a half, but that knowledge never made it easier to say goodbye to the only people that visit me.

My tears were interrupted by knocking on my door. I lifted my tear-stained eyes, and walked to my door. I saw Louis' blurred figure in the doorway, "Sorry, I forgot my Scarf.... Juliet, what's wrong?" I started wiping away my mascara, "Nothing..." "Sky..." he said, "No one ever cries like that over nothing." "It's normal..." I said, my voice still shaking, "Ask Harry..."

Just then, Harry's silhouette came up behind Louis, "She's right, Mate..." Someone wrapped their arms around me, and by the vibration in his chest as he spoke, it was Louis, "It shouldn‘t be..."

I continued to cry as they both walked me back inside. "You both need to go..." I said, "You have a flight..." "I'm not going anywhere." Louis said, firmly. "But, Lou..." I started, "We both know you have to; it’s to keep me a secret ..." I took a deep breath, "I'll be fine... Go..." Louis looked at Harry, who nodded. Then, Louis cupped my face, and gave me a gentle kiss, before looking into my eyes, reading my expression, “Don’t hesitate to text me, ok?” I nodded, and wrapped Louis in a hug. “I love you…” I mumbled into his coat collar. “I love you too…” he replied, slowly pulling away. He stepped back and let Harry say his second farewell, before they both left my street. I sighed, holding back my tears; it was stupid to cry anyway. Harry would be back in 2 weeks and then, I wouldn’t be alone during that time.

Everything would be normal again.

Those 2 weeks passed agonizingly slow, but finally, it was that time; Christmas.

Mom, Gemma, and Harry all would come to see me, and different times leading up to December 25, to not raise suspicion. We would exchange gifts, and talk about old times. It was the only time I really felt like I was part of my family again.

The first person to visit me was Gemma, on the 20th. We drank hot chocolate and talked about Christmas’ past, before I gave her my gift. It was a small necklace with her name on it. “Thank you.” she said, placing it around her neck, before handing me my package. It was rectangular box, with light blue wrapping paper.

I loved guessing my presents before opening them. It was just one of my quirks that no one could ever know about.

I shook the box; no sound. “Hmm… It’s light, and soundless. It’s clothing of some kind.” I ripped the paper, revealing a red scarf. I wrapped it around my neck, “I love it. Thank you.” Then, I sighed. Why would I ever need a scarf; I never left home. I bought everything online, or had Mom pick it up for me. The only reason I still had my house and paid the bills, was Harry’s monthly check. I hated that he believed that he needed to provide for me. I used to be capable of such things, without his help.

Gemma ripped me for my thoughts, unknowingly, “Well, I have to go now…” “So soon?” I asked, standing up when she did. “I’m sorry, Skylar…” she said, walking to the door, “I have to do some last minute shopping with Mom. She said she’ll come over in a couple days.” She turned back to me, “Merry Christmas, Sky…” “Yeah…” I said, disappointedly, “You too.” She gave me a quick hug, before going to her car.

And then, there was 1.