Chapter Two : The Chills

- TWO -

The Chills

New York is a world different compared to this town. In New York, all you can see are buildings, people, cars especially taxis, polllution and more buildings. It may not be the most peaceful and quiet place to be but New York is my home and I've naturally accepted its characteristics. Good or bad.

Unlike in this town, everything about it seems to be beautiful. I can get used to spending my summer here. It would be nice to take a break from all the hustle and bustle in the city.

As I stand still by the window, its soft silky curtain caressing my face, I look through it with vacant eyes. The houses, with roofs that differ in color, are adequately spaced from each other giving it a fresh look. In New York, it's cramped and all the buildings are almost one because of the lack of space. I wonder if the buildings will complain if they're alive. 

For 2 months or less, Dad and I are going to stay here in Grandma's house depending on what Dad's job requires. Dad is a dentist. A job that he clearly loves and enjoys. In New York, after school, I'll always drop by and visit him. Most of the children and adults that come visit him have dental problems while some just come for check-ups. Whether Dad has already fixed it or thanks to their respnsible caring, they have good teeth that they're proud to show the world with a beautiful smile.

Since Dad is a dentist, I have to care about my teeth. Since I've been a little girl, Dad would tell me all sorts of things just to get me brush three times a day. That constant reminder became a hobby. Now, I never forget to brush three times a day or more.

I turn and see the big, historical bed. It looks fluffy and soft. On top of it is the luggage that I brought with me. I'm not a heavy packer and I just brought the things that I need to enjoy this summer.

Okay, I say to myself as I now stand by the bed and as I slowly open my lugggage. What do we have here?

Shirts, 3 skinny jeans, underwears, personal needs, a flip-flop, 2 pairs of sneakers, blue towel, handkerchiefs, 5 sundresses, Toffee (my bear) and the book that I'm currently reading.

I grab the pouch where I placed my toothbrush and toothpaste. I head to the bathroom and open its wood, eccentric door. Its just simple and small. The tiles are ocean blue and seems newly scrubbed. There's a bathtub on the right corner and beside it is the sink and the toilet. 

I take a step inside, leaving the door open, when suddenly the same chill I felt earlier flows through my body again. It surprised me and it only took a second to last. I search for an open window but even the window in my room is shut. 

I brush it off and head to the sink. It's quite odd that I haven't seen a single mirror around. Good thing that I brought my tiny mirror with me. I usually use mirrors when I fix my hair. It's my need.

I turn the faucet on with a squeak and water starts to run.

I apply toothpaste on my toothbrush and I start brushing. I try to keep the mysterious chills that run through me out of my mind. I must be having a fever. I place my hand under my chin and on my neck. Odd. I'm not at all hot.

My toothbrush scrubbing my teeth is the only sound I can hear. This silence is utterly new to me. In New York, there seems to be no spot where silence lingers. I think the word silence is even illegal there.

I realize that silence is a beautiful sound but it's lonely. I start to hum the song in the advertisment of the toothpaste that I'm using just to ease the silence. It feels better now.

The water suddenly stops running.

I didn't hear anything squeak so how can the water stop? It must be the pipes. There's got to be a logical explanation for this. I slowly turn the faucet to the right then the water starts running again.