Chapter Fourteen : Someone Like Him

-FOURTEEN-

SOMEONE LIKE HIM

                “Darlene!”

                “Coming!” I head towards the door, leaving Liam in the garage, and close it behind me. It’s been almost three hours and Liam is still not finished with the checking. I help him by unpacking the flowers instead because I got bored after waiting for about half an hour so I told Grandma that Liam and I swapped our duties for today because his arms hurt due to a little slip he had with his skateboard yesterday.

                I’m usually a bad liar. You can instantly tell I’m lying because it doesn’t sound realistic and I usually stutter and sweat. Liam figured this lie out, telling me that this will only be for today. I was planning to seduce Grandma to make her believe but as I leaned on the counter three hours ago, she didn’t really pay attention to me.

                “Hey Grandma.”

                She’s typing something on the computer and lets her eyes stay glued to it. “It’s almost lunch. Why don’t you grab something to eat at the Bakery Shop across the street.”

                “What do you want me to get for you?”

                “Just cinnamon rolls, dear. That would be fine.”

                “Oh, okay.” I rummage in my pockets and find ten crumpled dollars. I’m a bit low in cash and I hope this is enough.

                Liam opens the door and exhales loudly. He winks at me and leans on the counter, handing Grandma the clipboard and the pen. “Done with the checking.” He says, wiping sweat on his forehead.

                “Perfect timing, Liam can come with you!”

                “You said it’s just across the street so maybe I can—”

                “What is it?” Liam cuts me off, grinning widely at me and then at Grandma.

                “I just thought that you two can grab something to eat at the Bakery Shop.” Grandma takes her eyes off of the computer and looks at us with a wide smile across her face that makes her look really adorable.

                “It’s fine if I go alone—”

                “Oh, I’m starving.” He exclaims, rubbing his tummy for emphasis. “Come on. My stomach can’t wait a second longer.”

                I smile at Grandma as Liam grabs me on my wrist, trying to drag me away. “We’ll be back in a few minutes.”

                “Take your time!” Grandma yells back as Liam opens the door, the bell ringing behind us, and we go out with the heat quickly enveloping my body.

                The sun is high and it’s hot. It’s almost noon, and I squint my eyes just to see something because the sun is really too high.

                “Wow. It’s pretty hot.” Liam says as I look up at him, covering my eyes so I can see his expression. “Don’t worry. It’s just across the street.”

                There’s no one around. If it’s this hot outside, I’ll pretty much just stay under a roof or a shade. A bead of sweat starts to drip down my forehead and I wipe it using the back of my hand. I exhale deeply, feeling my hot breath before me.