Alive and Shattered: Chapter Twenty Four {Adena's POV}

Adena’s POV

I held up the dress to myself and frowned. This was a dress I had gotten for my birthday from my parents. I had been so busy this entire week, studying for all of my final exams which were next week, that I figured this dress would be good enough.

But it was too informal.

Sun dresses couldn’t be worn to prom. How come I didn’t realize this before? Sighing, I tossed the dress onto the bed. I couldn’t believe that school was almost over. In three weeks, I would be graduating.

And then what?

I had no plans for the future, no ideas. I honestly never thought I would have made it this far. But now that I had, and I knew Dylan would be forcing me to get help, I didn’t know where to begin.

I was curious about the future, mostly because I wondered if Dylan would be in it.

Just then a knock sounded at the door. Running to my bed, I grabbed the jacket sitting on it and threw it on. 

“Come in,” the door opened revealing Quinton and Grady. Making sure my sleeves covered my arms, I raised my eyebrows as they walked into the room. Quinton held something behind his back.

“Why are you here? Aren’t you supposed to be getting ready?” I asked Grady. I knew he was going to prom while Quinton was not.

“We have a present for you! We know your birthday was Monday, but we couldn’t pick anything out! Until yesterday… we found this,” he pulled a box out from behind him.

“What is it?” I questioned, a huge smile on my face.

“Open it,” Grady smiled as Quinton handed me the box. I slowly opened it.

“You guys!” I gasped. “It’s… beautiful!” I took it out of the box and admired it. Just by the look of it, I could tell it would be form fitting towards the top and flowing at the bottom. I was a little nervous about the idea of it accenting my figure, but I didn’t want to focus on that.

It was a long, sleeveless plum-colored chiffon dress with a lace sweetheart neckline that went to the top of the hip.

“This had to have been be so expensive,” I stated. “I can’t except this.”

“You can and you will! As far as I can tell you don’t have any other options,” Grady smiled. Quinton nodded in agreement and I could feel tears rushing to my eyes. Setting the dress neatly on the bed, I ran over and hugged them both.

“Thank you!” I smiled. They both pulled away and Grady frowned.

“Sadly, I have a prom to get ready for also. But I’ll see you there,” Grabbing Grady again, I forced him to hug me.

“I love you,” of course, I meant it in a big brother way. And of course, Grady knew that. I was sure he was surprised, I had never said the words before.

“I love you too,” He replied, pulling away from the hug. 

“Don’t start crying, wouldn’t want you to ruin your makeup,” Quinton teased Grady. Grady shot him a look before disappearing down the hall. “Now, I won’t keep you from getting ready.”

I hugged Quinton again, also telling him I love him. I had never felt so happy or so loved in a single moment. He left the room and I closed the door, picking the dress up.

It was so pretty.

Thankfully, I had a small cardigan that would match it well.

I frowned. I knew Grady and Quinton had no idea of the scars of my arm, but I wished they had gotten a different dress. One with longer sleeves. I turned to the clock and realized how behind I was.