Alive and Shattered: Chapter Nine {Adena's POV}

Thanks so much to MunazzaBangash for the banner on the side! Ahh! I love it so much!

Adena’s POV

“Okay students, I have a funny story for you. Then we will continue with the project today.” Mrs. Bridges stood on front of her desk and leaned up against it. “Okay, My daughter was riding her bike in the big parking lot across the street from us. She was enjoying her time like any other seven year old. She was riding slower when she saw someone she knew driving past. She turned her head and was waving at the driver.”

Mrs. Bridges did an imitation of her daughter. She waved her hand like a lunatic and smiled really wide. A few laughs echoed throughout the room.

“She wasn’t paying attention to where she was going and after the person left, my daughter slammed into a blue van that was parked. She had been too busy paying attention to the person that she wasn’t watching where she was going.” Laughter filled the room, including myself. But Tasha quickly raised her hand.

“Mrs. Bridges, Did your daughter get hurt?”

“No, she was going slow enough to where she didn’t get hurt, but she laughed it off. It was really funny to her.”

“Oh, okay.” she smiled.

“Okay, now that you have had your laugh for the day, it is time to get started. Find your partner and finish the questions from before. Meanwhile, I get to grade.” Mrs. Bridges sighed and sat down at her desk to begin her work. As the students started to move around the room I looked towards Dylan to see he was already looking at me. After an awkward second of eye contact he sent me a smile. I returned it as he grabbed his question paper, got up, walked over, and plopped down in the desk in front of me.

"Heyo!" He smiled.

"Hi," I replied.

"Are you getting bored with this project yet?" He asked.

"No..." I said, giving him an odd look.

"You see I'm not either! I'm having fun with this project but everyone is miserable and it's only the what... second week?"

"Yeah! That's true! I guess they just don't have as awesome of a partner as you do,” he burst into laughter, causing me to smile. "Since you have such an awesome partner, we should start the questions!" I suggested, not wanting to attract attention to ourselves.

"We actually didn't finish the question from yesterday."

"Really?" I said, hoping he had forgotten about it.

"Yeah, we hadn't..." He stopped to look at the paper he had in his hand. "Family!"

"Oh! Okay!" I nodded.

"So go ahead! Tell me about the Serre’s." I nodded, wondering if I should tell him the truth about my family. He had told me about his mother, so he deserved to know the truth.

"Well uh... Not a lot of people know, in fact, I'm pretty sure Grady's the only one who knows… But my real mother left when I was born. She couldn't handle taking care of me and taking care of Quinton. My dad remarried a few years later to my step mom who insists that I call her mom. So now it's my stepmother, my dad, Quinton and I, and then my half siblings Charlotte, Brooklyn and Ryan. But Charlotte’s at college right now."

"Oh." Dylan said with a nod. I'm sure he was at a loss for words; I was too. I was starting to feel a little heartbroken at the moment. I rarely thought about my real mother. But when I did, I always wondered where she was and what she was doing. "I'm sorry," he finally said. "That must really be hard."