The Forgotten Shifter

This story is all of my own work. Although this is a free book, along with all of my other work, copying is not tolerated.
This may not be copied, rewritten, or changed in any way. Copyright © invisxble 2014.
<P align=center><FONT face=Arial><STRONG><A>Copyright</A>&nbsp;&nbso2014Sp83400 - All Rights Reserved</STRONG></FONT></P>
All rights reserved.
This book should not be seen on any website, or in any store unless consent is provided. There should be NO re-written story from a computer, phone, or any electronic.
*****************************
Hey guys! This is my first book, and I'm looking for lots of feedback! Sorry for any spelling/grammar errors. I don't have an editor. Enjoy!
~Sarah

Prologue
_____________
There is never a need for war. A settlement that divides two halves can usually fix a problem, but what happens when it doesn't? War is always inevitable, and it is gruesome and terrible - yet, it keeps happening. The details are unbearable; families are murdered in cold blood, the innocent are among the now guilty - because they supported who they were fighting for. The reason why the two halves divided, and created a war, is an entirely different story.

I participated in one war in my lifetime. The prophecy insists that there will be another war, an even more terrible one than the war I had fought in. I'm destined to, and just like war, I will inevitably have to fight in this war, when the time comes. The war will determine whose kind will stay, and whose will leave. Which families will parish, and which will live in prosperity.

They weren't always so terrible. They were once strong willed shifters, helpful and kind. They were the best of warriors, and always fought fair in battles, keeping the innocent safe. But the taste for blood and feeling of flesh beneath claws drew forth a new kind of shifter; the Dark Shifters; who would stop at nothing to achieve the greatness that they desired.

The Pure-Shifters didn't allow it. There had always been one kind of shifter. They had always been peaceful. But the Dark-Shifters had proved otherwise, and they were banished. The Pure-Shifters wanted to erase them from memory. They didn't want their children to know. And in the end, that it what lead to the downfall of the Pure-Shifters, until there was only one left.

❦ ❦ ❦

The dark shifter growled, lifting its jet black paws into the air, rearing. He had transformed into a gigantic wolf, his dark, black eyes showing no regret in what he had just done. He snarled, and launched himself onto another Pure, killing it swiftly. Remorse was inexistent and impossible in this battle. There was no sympathy for the other shifters - blood fought against distant blood, that had once been the same.

The dark haired man looked down sadly at the dead woman's body, and grasped the hand of his daughter. He told her to run, to get away from the Dark Shifters' realm. To get as far away as possible. To get away from him. His face flushed, and he wanted to look away - but he loved his daughter, and didn't want to hurt her. He had vowed to protect his daughter, and he knew that the supernatural kind needed her. She had been unique since birth, destined to fulfill a prophecy.

The little girl gazed up at the man with a terrible sadness in her bright blue gaze. The man, her father, looked down at the woman once more, and carefully unclipped the gold in color amulet that hung around her neck. He quickly put it on the little girl. Getting on one knee, he exchanged words with her, and told her to go, as of that moment. He didn't have much longer. Time was running short, as was his life.

The girl, who already knew of her special abilities, felt her bones shift, and she landed on all fours. Her golden pelt, and the black marks that dotted the pelt, shone in the sunlight. She looked once behind her, and saw her father shed a single tear, before turning away and growling at the dark shifter that had suddenly loomed over him. She was a powerful shifter, destined by an old prophecy to one day rule. She would be loved, and she would be safe; that was, if she managed to survive that long.

For if she didn't, the world would seize to exist. Both supernatural and mortal.
With one final look, she saw the grey-white pelt of her father's wolf, fighting the dark shifter. Pain piercing her heart, she had to look away. She only looked back again when a blood-curdling scream filled the air, the scream of her father and his wolf, dying at the huge black paws of a dark shifter. She didn't look back after that.
Tears filling her eyes, she ran into the thick-wooded forest. Hatred flooded through her, and she knew she would never she the man and woman again.

❦ ❦ ❦

My mother and father were killed in the war of the Dark Shifters. They died protecting me. The Dark Shifters failed at making the pure shifters, dark-souled. Some joined, some were forced, but most were killed. None were spared. Except for me.

Those black-souled, heartless shifters, who cared only about power, had managed to evade the Pures, and had grown stronger and larger. After the supernaturals banished the Dark Shifters, they had sworn revenge on the Pure Shifters, for banishing their own kind. But they were not of our kind. They wanted blood. We wanted peace. The Dark-Shifters can want nothing but revenge.

And their revenge is the reason that I am the only Pure Shifter left.

I know it's really short but I'll post soon! I hope you like it so far.