chapter 6

Detention...oh joy. (Note the sarcasm).  I sat down at a desk in the very back of the classroom.  I glared at Mr. King, who was glaring back at me.  He finally stopped glaring to rub his eyes. "Ouch! How can you glare at me all the time? It hurts." 

"I'm used to it." I simply answered, with no emotion.

"Why are you sitting all the way back there?"

"Because I want to.  Now are you gonna have me do something for the next hour, or can I serve this detention is peace and get some homework done?"

"Oh you're gonna do something.  You're going to play 20 questions with me, seeing as I don't know much about you and how your don't know a lot about me."

"Then how can you love me if you don't know anything about me?" I asked, curiously.

"First question." He stated.  I rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna answer your question with another question...Have you ever heard of love at first sight?"

"Yes, but that doesn't happen in real life.  My turn.  What college did you go to?"

"Rutgers..It's in New Jersey.  My turn. What college do you hope to get in to?"

"I don't hope to GET into any college. I'm already accepted into Harvard on a full scholarship." I answered.

"Are you serious?"  He said with a shocked expression.

"It's not your turn Mr. King.  How many girlfriends have you had?"

"Including you, I'd say around 10 or 15 since senior year of college. So that would total to around 37 since 6th grade." He said cockily.

"You can't be serious." I stated, a little bit hurt.

"Why? Jealous?" He asked, cockily.

"Of you? Ha! good one Mr. King."

"You sure?  I see a little jealousy in your eyes."

"Quite the opposite Mr. King."

He chuckled. "And no I'm not serious.  I actually have never had a girlfriend."  He admitted.

"Ok now I know you're lying."

He shook his head and smiled. "I'm not lying.  I've had my heart set on one girl since I was 9.  I could never see what I see in you, in another girl."

"And what do you see in me, exactly? I'm nothing like you...in fact, I think I may even be the complete opposite of you."

"Ms. Williams, I see a lot in you.  I see loyalty, passion, confidence. When I look into your eyes, I see more than just their beauty...I see all the pain you've been through.  I even see the love in you.  You may not believe it's there, but it is."  He got up from behind his desk and walked slowly over to me, studying me very carefully.

  "I see the fear of loving someone and the fear of being loved in your eyes.  And to be hinest, you are the very opposite of me.  You're more reserved, less social, depressed, short, skinny, possess no muscle mass, you're a girl, you're intelligence is above average no doubt,  you don't have friends, you don't go out anywhere, you study for fun, you come a poor and abusive family, you've never eaten any of my favorite foods in your entire life, you read for fun, you do extra work to pass the time, and you won't allow yourself to love anyone."   He finally stopped walking and was  now right in front of me, looking down at me with his icy blue eyes, into my dark brown eyes. He knelt down, so he was eye level with me.

  "I can also see you're starting to love me, Scar.  Don't think of me as your teacher or of the consequences that could develop because of our relationship"  He said softly.  He leaned closer and closer to me until his lips were only an inch away from mine.

 "With love's light wings did I o'er-perch these walls; For stony limits cannot hold love out." He whispered, quoting from the balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet.  Before I knew it, his lips were touching mine.  I could feel the warmth of his lips against mine, the passion, the lust. I could even feel...love.