11 - Imperial Dreams

NIGHT has fallen and I'm walking underneath a pitch black blanket by the time I reach the Crown Prince's quarters. The entrance is protected by two Imperial guardian lions made of bronze, and I can feel their protective watch on me as I walk inside with Jun and one young palace guard.

For some reason, I expected the entire guard to escort me to the Crown Prince for security issues, but maybe they aren't that paranoid about me potentially hurting the Crown Prince. Good; less pressure will help keep me calm, and not freaked out by the situation.

The Crown Prince called for me!

I've heard stories of poor, naive girls that were put to death for saying the wrong things. Why else would I be the only one called to the Crown Prince? I must have offended the Crown Prince when I spoke back earlier today! Damn, this is going to be one troubled evening and I was looking forward to lying down in bed.

"Halt."

One senior guard stops Jun, the junior guard and me. He carefully takes a moment to analyze but never leaves the stern, authoritative look off his face as he eyes me suspiciously.

"Clear."

We continue on our way inside the Crown Prince's palace.

Phew. No pat downs or stripping down articles of clothing like in airport security, but I seriously wonder why people aren't running in chaos to see a commoner girl such as me, in this place of great power and superiority. I mean, this was the future Emperor's palace for goodness sakes. There should be more security precautions!

I breathe in and out. "Don't worry", I tell myself, "they won't risk the Crown Prince's life for me."

Finally, we're here inside a sitting room. I see his excellency sitting in a intricately carved chair made of shining wood. Another woman wearing a rosepink fengguan sits on another similar wooden chair next to him.

Something tells me that I should bow in respect, but the Crown Prince objects when I start to get on my knees. "What are you doing? You are my guest; there are no need for formalities."

"But--" I begin to object, but the Crown Prince only shakes his head.

"You're an old friend, and soon to join my harem, Mei. We have plenty of time formalities. Come, have a drink." He offers me the cup that he was drinking! This cannot be royal behavior.

I politely decline. "No thanks, I don't drink."

I notice the Crown Prince's female companion clench her teeth, but she quickly hides it with an innocent smile. When the Crown Prince notices my interest in her, he is quick to introduce, "Have you met my Xiao Shi? She had been the talk of Beijing for so many years ago, and she is one of the original wives from the first time I got married."

I immediately bow. "It's an honor to meet the Crown Princess!"

Then, the Crown Prince laughed, Xiao Shi's face only contorted into further discomfort, and I realize that I made a grave mistake of labeling her the Crown Princess, otherwise the most powerful position in the household for a woman and the future of China. I only reminded her of the power she didn't have.

"I apologize." I can only say; politics is hard and it was that easy to offend a royal wife.

Xiao Shi continued to look discomforted and annoyed when she rose from her chair, put her hands together and bowed to the Crown Prince, "I believe it's time to retire back to my palace, Your Grace. I wouldn't want to disturb a reconciliation between old friends. Thank you."