9 - Imperial Nightmare

SOMEHOW, this felt...familiar.

As if Jade's outburst was simply a bad memory, Li's secret crush on me was something I always remembered from my childhood and the audition was eventually something that I knew was just another hard challenge that I would get over. Yet, I'm still denying everything despite how natural it feels.

My dream seemed almost like reality.

And I was a few moments from meeting the Crown Prince yet my heart keeps beating up my mind over my golden ex-boyfriend. Ryland's blonde hair remains imprinted forever in memory, his laughter rings in my ears, and touch of his soft skin will never leave my own.   

Why was I giving him up for this life? What cruel cosmic glitch in the universe brought me here? First, the precious lives of my parents were taken away from me, and then my own life? That same glitch that took my mother away, and then proceeded to allow those horrible women to shamelessly murder my father and take Ryland away from my life.

I'm supposed to be Astrid Liu from America in the 21st century, and not Liu Mei of China in the 18th century.  I can't wait to wake up from this coma dream, but I'll play along for now.

All of a sudden, the chatter in the courtroom was immediately stopped as soon as the palace guard officially yelled:

"The harem auditions will begin now." Soon, every daughter was organized into groups based on their father's status in noble society.

"Good luck, Mei." Jia whispered in my ear, "We'll see you on the other side as sisters." 

The guards separate me from An & Jia after we exchanged nervous smiles.  An & Jia's fathers are both palace officials so they left to stand in a group which the arrogant Jade also happened to be in (I felt terrible about my new friends' bad luck).

"Go over there," a palace guard directs me to stand with the other military daughters.

That same palace guard, who makes all the announcements, called, "Daughters of the Military Families." He paused to make sure every one of us heard, "Please prepare to stand in front of Heaven's Son very shortly."

My group would be the first to be presented in front of the Crown Prince, but this might be better. Afterall, I can just get these auditions over with.  I took a deep breath, and tried to exhale my worries. 

"Make your way to the throne room, military daughters." The authoritative voice of the palace reminds us.

We walk in a single file line like obedient schoolgirls. Our walk seemed to be intentionally slow to make every girl nervous. Soon, we reached the throne room and it was heavenly beauty in a single place. Paintings and statues were elaborately placed inside. The guards increased in size, and entire court of women and men surround two high thrones.

I spotted an older but extravagantly dressed older woman. She was stern, and sat on her throne like she'd gone through an entire lifetime of fighting before this moment. My best guess is that she is the current Empress, and soon to be Empress Dowager when the Crown Prince's father died.

On the throne to the Empress' left, I caught first sight of him. The Crown Prince, himself!

I was taken back by his shining jet black hair and muscular build. His face was soft, yet hard at the same time, and he was draped in a robe spun from golden silk. The robes fit him very well, and a strong, fit body outlined the silk fabric precisely.

My legs became liquid and trembled in his presence and the dress on my body suddenly felt heavy on my body.  His power practically glowed from his clear skin, but I could care less. This was a simple coma-induced dream, I warned myself. I will wake up and find Ryland. 

A new palace guard starts to take commands, "The young girls may now take their places and await their first decision. To take home a flower, or enter the palace with an imperial scarf."

I let out a tiny giggle at the simple objects that determine an entire girl's life, but its too late to rethink my actions.

The Crown Prince speaks: "Are you laughing at me?"

His eyes study my own, and I muster up the courage to reply, "No." 

The entire court gasps as if I'd insulted his Highness. I'm curious to find out why. This time, his mother, the current Empress demands to know: "Do you dare speak against the Crown Prince?"

Her extreme intensity only surprises me; I justify my actions, "I was not aware saying a simple no is considered outrageous here."

A surge of disapproval is broadcasted around the entire court. In that moment, I recognize the women that wait behind the Crown Prince must be his harem, the one that I'm supposed to be joining,  and I'm suddenly scarlet from the realization. 

The Crown Prince appears to be amused by my comment, before making his final case, "I'll consider her for the next round. Hand her the scarf." An older woman of the court practically shoves the scarf in her hand, and she makes it clear that she disapproves of the decision.

After dismissing the other girls in my group, I overhear several mean whispers from the Crown Prince's harem:

"Who is this girl? She is silly to believe she'll survive if she dares speak such bold words to the prince."

Another cruel voice quietly but lethally says, "Don't fret too much over it, sister. Her words will be punished."

My heart sinks, and I cannot believe fate has led me here. It was an utter nightmare--I can't even speak up for myself, and I dread any form of punishment. The Crown Prince's palace does not seem too friendly to girls that can't stand being pushed over; quiet, obedient and a servant of men.

But what if I can change that? Maybe, a couple days wouldn't hurt. I am determined.

As we leave the throne room, I take one last look at the Crown Prince; he was cold as the winter snow, but powerful as a blazing storm. Compared to Ryland, they were like day and night; Ryland being the warmest touch of day.His expression of sudden interest in me suprised me, and I absolutely hated it.

...

hope you enjoyed the Crown Prince's meeting

it's brief and formal, but you'll get to know him and his name will be revealed soon.