7 - Heart or Brain

A quick message before the chapter:

THANK YOU FOR 1K+ READS!

I love every single one of my readers, and it's so amazing to think that "EVOLVE" has gotten it's first thousand reads! What a milestone. I really hope you realize how important this means to me and "EVOLVE", because at this point, you are one of the very first readers that have discovered "EVOLVE" in a land called Wattpad.

Keep on voting, commenting and doing what you guys do best on "EVOLVE"! We're only 999k reads away from a MILLION!

I'd like to celebrate, by dedicating one of each of my first ten chapters, to a first reader!

If you are interested, PM me

Leo is happy for all of us! Thank you

...

WE kept walking down a path for what seemed like decades. The palace truly was a place that existed on an enormous scale—and it belonged to one man's household: the Crown Prince. I can only imagine the Crown Prince's extreme pride of his colossal palace.

The palace guards were discreetly whispering to each other. Every now and then, they would look at me for half a second, and then, they would make brief comments of what was happening.

My Chinese speaking skills might be poor, but my listening skills were helpful enough for me to understand everything these palace guards were saying as they escorted both Jun and I:

"She is so strange! I can't believe the girl has green eyes." A palace guard discreetly whispers to his co-worker.

Another palace guard responds, "I agree. Everyone I know only has brown eyes."

My eyes! As a person, I always make sure to judge a person by their character--not physical appearance. My blood boils at the guards' ignorance, but my brain reasons some logic in me

My brain—a logical calculator that spends her time reading classic literature in the library and discusses philosophy —reminds me that I'm in a time era when people commonly died at the age of twenty-one, so the palace guards are simply worried about their future Emperor marrying a woman that could die in a couple years.

On the other hand, my heart—a carefree dreamer that spends her time dreaming of love, her boyfriend and other wonderful dreams, but also freedom in a utopian society—urges me to punch the ignorant palace guard without consulting my brain.

However, I do the next best thing, and ask Jun loud enough for the Guards to hear, "Do you think the Crown Prince would appreciate the disrespect of his marriage choices? It's as if certain people are doubting His Majesty's ability to find only the most perfect wives."

The palace guards are silenced in their gossip.

Jun remains at a neutral state when she says, "I hope not," but she adds, "That would be treason." We continue walking the palace paths, but this time an extreme form of fear floods the walls of the guards' minds. They tremble in fear because being accused of treason in the palace means death.

I was proud of myself. That was the first time I encountered bullies in the palace, and I bravely stood up to them like the protagonist of a palace TV show.

Soon, we came to a stop at a small building. Jun held my hand, and we waited for a palace guard to slide open the paper door.

Now, I look forward to the auditions. It should be interesting.