10 - Cut in Half

FLASHBACK: ONE WEEK AFTER ROBERT LIU'S DEATH.

The phone screen hurt my eyes in the dark. Dad always said that I should get my eyes checked--our family has a history of horrible eyesight. I have a feeling he was right.

Then again, Dad wasn't here, was he?

My best friend's name, Rachel, glowed on my phone. I was calling her after a long day of dealing with the tragic death of my father. I've dealt with the police, coroners, fake neighbors, but worst of all, my stepfamily. Death wasn't exactly a pleasant visitor when it brought the media too because as of right now, I can feel the paparazzi's cameras staring into my bedroom window.

If that wasn't bad enough, I've called already Aunt Clarice and Ryland , but both calls were sent to voicemail. I hope it's not because of what I think it is.

That I'm a killer.

It was a complete accident. Dad was coming back home from a two-month long business trip in China. I knew that we both suffered after not seeing each for the longest time. Two days before his flight was due in, the idea of cooking him a wonderful homemade meal came to mind. The meals that Mom used to cook for him before she died.

"Hello?" Rachel's familiar voice answers the phone.

"Rachel, it's me." I plead for her to stay on the phone, "Can you listen to me---"

But Rachel quickly shuts me down, "Astrid. Just plead guilty in court. I cannot help you with this; you made this mess yourself, and to your own father too. I hope you'll find a light to save your poor soul." The conversation is cut short when she coldly hangs up.

Rachel's words hurt me like a knife in my heart. My own best friend refuses to listen to my story. What if I was innocent? How could she know without hearing me talk?

Everyone has turned on me.

END OF FLASHBACK. EVOLVE AGAIN

THERE are fifty girls left from my original group of one hundred. That means I'm part of the half that made the cut. That means half of us were easily thrown out back to the ordinary world, and I have a good chance to join those rejects soon.

We're outside in the courtyard until the guards give us further instruction. Late afternoon is transitioning into early evening, and hundreds of red paper lanterns had been lit up in a time span of five minute. It was a captivating sight.

On another note, I still have chills from the meeting with the Crown Prince.

It isn't like a schoolgirl crush where I draw hearts and write our names all over my homework. Or where I secretly wish he'll kiss me, and live a happy life together married. Nothing is that simple.

No.

This man will have my life in his hands, so I won't have too many choices as a girl in his harem. Most cultures started out as patriarchies, and feminism was nothing back then. It's a man's world at this point; a cold, harsh reality.

I'm torn, but it's better than the world I lived in where my parents were dead. Evil went unnoticed, and life cheated me out on everything I'd ever known: my loving parents, a kind boyfriend and a supportive friend.

No. This would be better. I could keep a low profile, and live out this dream when I wake up. The Crown Prince is breathtaking, alluring and stunning--words can't even begin to describe him! I feel attracted but he is only a substitute for what is waiting back home. I will not get distracted by harem trifles.

"Are you okay?" Jia seems worried for me, she speculated, "You look a little shaken up after the first auditions."

I nodded. "I was, but I'm better now." It's hard not to reveal all my feelings, but I keep it contained. An & Jia don't have to know about my tragic past.

Then, the palace guards called every girl's attention to one woman: Jun. I was glad to see a familiar face again. Jun was dressed in conservative clothing that marked her future status as Head of the Palace Household. 

She spoke with official formality, and announced that we would be moving into temporary housing for the night. I was disappointed to hear that we are rooming with the same groups that we met the Crown Prince with because that means I would be sleeping alone; no other girl in my group made it past the first round.

It wasn't too long after when they rounded us up in our housing groups. I was the only military daughter standing, and it felt vulnerable to be standing by myself like a mouse surrounded by vicious snakes.

I might not sleep tonight.

But before we took off, I saw the crowd of girls part before my eyes. It was Jun that stood before me, and gave me another smile. "Liu, Mei, His Highness has requested to see you." That's when I saw looks of jealousy and wonder aimed at me.

I definitely won't sleep tonight.

...

the tenth chapter, and we are at 2.5k reads. THANK YOU!

WHAT?!

Mei and the Crown Prince are having some alone time!!!

(what's going to happen)

find out in the next chapter

-ashley mei