E P I L O G U E

I walked up to the front door of the house. It was a cool October evening. My fingers fumbled to select the correct key from my keychain; I pushed it through the lock once it was found and twisted the door open.

My hands immediately went to the light switch beside the door and I flipped it on.

I walked into the empty living room. I had never realized just how much space was there; now that it was vacant save a single box it was like everything was coming back to me.

It came as a shock when dad had notified me that he and Miranda would be moving. I mean, I shouldn't have been very surprised since the place was way too large for the remaining two people living there, but I just thought that since there was so much history there they'd stay. I was at least relieved when he told me they wouldn't be selling it, and that I had left some things I should come pick up.

My hands dug into the box and brought out a photo frame.

"Wow," I whispered. I rubbed some of the dust away with my finger, making the photo of myself as a young girl clearer.

I put the photo back and reached in once more to get a shirt I thought I'd lost. I smiled softly and then began to close the flaps on the box.

"There are so many memories here," I sighed.

Someone exited the kitchen, a bottle of water in hand. "We go on tour and return to find out a lot has changed around here." The boy leaned against the wall in the living room. "First of all, your songs have popped up on Billboard repeatedly."

I rolled my eyes, "Okay, okay. Enough about that."

"Second, and the real shocker, we got together. Which, by the way, still surprises me, and it's been a month since we've returned."

"I'm not surprised." I leaned back, my hands resting atop the box. "There's always been something with us. It just took us the six months to really notice it." I stood up with the box in hand. "L, could you help me with this?"

"Yeah, no problem." He came over and took the box from my hands, making a heaving sound as he did so.

I chuckled, "You're so weak."

"I'm not weak," he defended. He bumped his hip into me. "But even if I was, you'd still love me anyway, babe."

"Maybe." I sent him a wide grin.

My eyes travelled across the empty living room, the empty kitchen, the walls that no longer held the family photos. I thought of falling asleep on the couch, of meals with Miranda when dad was in the hospital, of when mum and I had first moved in. It was like everything was flashing back to me at once. Suddenly, all I could think about was how much I was going to miss this place. It was like this was the final step in moving on; once I walked out the door my life would have completely changed forever.

"You ready to go?"

I looked at him. At his brown hair, his lips, his eyes that always seemed bright. I thought of how much I'd missed him when he'd gone, of how I couldn't wait to make new memories with him.

"Yeah Liam," I said, giving the house one last look. "I'm ready."