T W E N T Y - F I V E

"Yeah, everything's just fine," I spat, backing away. "I was just leaving."

Dad frowned. "Alright...well, dinner's almost ready."

"I have a lot of studying to do, actually. I think I'll go the library." I sent him a reassuring smile, which he returned as he put down the taco shells and proceeded to roll up his sleeves and wash his hands. I sighed and left the kitchen.

I was utterly frustrated and confused. I knew Miranda had been up and down with everything since the beginning, but that was a low blow. I didn't see why she had to turn everything around as if I was in the wrong, claiming I didn't deserve to like Liam. It didn't make any sense, but that at that moment I wasn't going to stay any longer to figure everything out.

I grabbed my keys and reached into my pocket to dig out my phone, only to realize it wasn't there.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath. I searched around the foyer to see if I had left it anywhere, but the more I thought about it the more I figured that I hadn't even brought it home with me.

I rubbed my temples in agitation, heading over to where the house phone was resting on the wall. I grabbed it and dialed one of the few numbers I knew by heart.

"Hello?" A cheery voice answered.

"Hey," I breathed. "It's Carter."

"Oh, I've been waiting to hear from you," Louis responded. "You left your phone at the studio so I grabbed it for you."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Ugh, thank you so much." I twirled my keys on my finger. "Do you mind if I come pick you up? I need an excuse to get out this godforsaken house."

"Yeah, no problem." Louis told me his address. "I'll even charge it for you, since I'm such a wonderful person and all."

"Thank you," I chuckled.

After hanging up, I finally put my shoes back on and left the house without saying a single goodbye.

.
.

.

The door to Louis' house opened, revealing the owner, who surprisingly had on a stained shirt and chef's hat.

I snorted at the sight. "Don't you look delightful."

"Oh, shut up," he said, opening the door wider to invite me inside, which I gladly entered. "I gave my cook some days off because someone bet that I couldn't take care of myself for more than a day."

"It's been 3," a voice said from further inside house.

My cheeks immediately flared at the sound of the voice. Liam came into view, wearing an equally as ridiculous outfit with my phone in his hand. It was as if I was noticing all of these new things about him after I'd come to terms with my feelings; his thick biceps, the beard that tickled my face whenever he hugged me, his large hands, and full lips-

"Here's your phone," Louis said, taking it from the other man and handing it to me. "All charged up and ready to go."

"Thanks," I smiled softly. I turned around to go.

"Hold up, where are you going?" He stopped me. I was slightly relieved. "You're staying. We could use all the help we can get here."

I took off my shoes and my jacket, placing them near the door. "Fine, whatever you say."

Liam gave me a nervous grin as he rubbed the back of his neck. I saw the way his muscles flexed and had to withhold myself from drooling. "Great. Louis was going to eat cereal for the umpteeth time, which wouldn't have been fair for the bet, so now I'm assisting him in making a dish."