T W E N T Y - F O U R

I sat in the driver's seat of my car, my heart racing, my fingers trembling slightly as I turned the key in the ignition. I didn't know why I was so nervous; clearly, nothing had happened. But every time I tried to reassure myself that everything was just fine and dandy it never worked because it wasn't.

Liam had just confessed something to me that wasn't okay. He wasn't allowed to "do more than care about me". He wasn't allowed to kiss me and run, to reel me back in and get my hopes up just to probably shatter me again.

And I wasn't allowed to feel for him what I felt at that moment.

I let out a deep breath and pulled out of the parking lot, towards home, where hopefully I could take my mind off of everything.

.

.

.

"I'm home!" I yelled, slipping my Vans off of my feet. I poked my head into the kitchen, taking sight of my father and sister.

"Great, you can help us with dinner," my father said, sending me a smile.

I pulled my hair out of its tight ponytail and brushed my fingers through it to take out any knots that might've been present. "I'm going to need to if you two are trying to make it."

"Oh, shut up, Carter," Miranda rolled her eyes with a chuckle. Her tongue was stuck out in concentration as she struggled to grate cheese. "I've been trying to make my mum's taco recipe for years now and I'm finally going to do it tonight."

I was slightly caught off guard; Miranda's mother, who was still alive and well, had run off with another man years ago. Shockingly, she still kept in contact with her daughter and once came over to deliver a Christmas present where I'd awkwardly met her.

I picked up the recipe. "Well first of all, this is the wrong kind of cheese. Second, we don't have any taco shells in the house."

"That's where you're wrong." Dad held up a finger. "I bought the taco shells, they're in the car." He grabbed his keys. "I'll go get them."

I watched my stepfather leave the room towards the garage. Miranda was still struggling to grate the cheese as I leaned over the island to get closer.

"I have to talk to you. A serious talk," I whispered.

She paused. "I'm a little scared...what is it?"

"Why are you dating Dominic?"

Miranda squinted her eyes. I watched as she dropped the grater and folded her arms. "I'm not liking this talk."

"No, Mirry, I just-" I groaned. "Before you guys started dating, he was kind of an asshole to you. Remember how he dodged your calls and blatantly talked to other girls?"

"Yeah, but then we talked it out and look where we are today." She picked up a bell pepper and rinsed it before beginning to slice into it. "Where exactly are you going with this?"

"So even through all of that, you still liked him and are dating him. And you have no regrets?"

She sighed. "None. Carter..."

"I think I like Liam," I blurted.

The tension in the room was thick. Miranda stopped cutting abruptly, the knife in her hand suspended in the air. I leaned away from the island and made eye contact with her.

"I talked to him today," I whispered. "There was something there...he said things. And I've been thinking about him ever since."

Miranda snorted.

"You know he kissed me the day dad woke up," I continued, walking around. "I didn't know why I was so hurt afterwards. But it's because I like him, Miranda. I can't deny it any longer. If you can date Dominic after he played with your emotions, I can at least try it with Liam."

Miranda suddenly slammed her hand on the countertop. I jumped slightly, surprised. "Liam of One Direction, who you pretended to date before? Who broke my little sister's heart? You're going to trust him?"

My mouth opened. "What?" I shook my head, "Dominic literally told you you annoyed him and to delete his number. He kissed another girl right in front of you!"

"This isn't about Dominic," she seethed. "Liam betrayed you. He betrayed us."

"Well, I'm sorry if I feel something for him! The heart wants what it wants."

"He doesn't deserve you!"

"Is that what this is about?" I asked, pausing. "Or...is there something else?"

Miranda bit her lip, staring down at the food before her. She put down the knife and placed her hands gingerly on the surface of the island.

"Maybe you don't deserve him," she muttered.

I took a step back. I couldn't believe it. "What?"

She let out a bitter chuckle, "I've been a fan of his since 2010. I've gone to his concerts, his talk show appearances, I've loved him since the very beginning. And look at you; you wrote a stupid song, whined about it until you got his attention, and now you're claiming to like him." She scoffed. "Do you even know him?"

"I dated him," I replied lowly, shaking from anger.

"Yeah well, that worked out great for you didn't it?" Miranda went back to chopping her peppers.

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. This was my step sister talking, my closest friend. "Miranda, how could you say this?"

The door leading to the garage opened, and in walked my stepfather holding a bag of taco shells triumphantly.

"Finally found them under the seat," he grinned toothily. He paused quickly when he saw me, near tears, and Miranda, stiffly and angrily cutting.

"Is everything alright here?"