Close Call

-Avery-

I sat in my desk. It's the final period of the day. I crossed my legs, bobbing one up and down. I looked at the clock, seeing how long we had left. Today was my final day before Christmas vacation, because they allowed me to get out a day before most people. Good grades I guess.

I tapped my pencil against the top of the desk. The class was way too quiet, so the tapping echoed off the walls, obviously annoying the teacher. She scorned at me to stop. I placed my pencil down into the front pouch of my bag, and looked over at the clock once again.

'Ten more minutes.' I thought as I sighed loudly. The teacher gave me an annoyed look. I'd been making a bunch of noise for the entire period. First it was yawning, then it was accidentally kicking the leg of my seat, then falling onto the floor. I'll bet by the time the bell rings, she'll be glad to have a two week vacation away from me.

I looked around, seeing what everyone else around me was doing. Some, no most were sleeping. A couple were passing notes. The person next to me passed me a note. I gave him a confused look, and he motioned for me to open it. I did, but it didn't say who it was from. 

So..yours and Justin's four week anniversary r comin up. Whatcha gonna do for it?

I re-read the small sentence over and over. What is this? Me and Justin have only been dating for four days, not four weeks. I looked at the guy next to me, but he had placed his head under his arms, fast asleep.

The bell rang, and I stood to my feet in search for someone who could have passed me the note. As I gave up on my search, someone tapped on my shoulder.

"I sent you the note, by the way." she said. "Are you going to answer me?"

I gave her a confused look. "You've got it all wrong, though. Justin and I have only been dating for four days, not four weeks."

"Thats not what I've heard." she said. "Everyone's been talking about you two for the past four weeks."

"That doesn't make any sense." I said. "I heard about the rumors, but Justin told me they had all died down, to not worry about them."

"Rumors?" the girls asked, sending me a confused look also. "It's not a rumor if it's true." We walked out of the class door together, and she walked down the other way, towards the front of the school.

"Hey you." Justin said, coming up behind me, scaring me like always.

"Hey." I breathed. "When did you get there?"

"I waited." he said, smiling. "Ready to head?"

"Yea, let me get a few things out of my locker." I replied, walking down towards my locker. Justin walked towards the front of the school to wait on me. As I dialed my locker's combination, I thought about what that one girl said.

'It's not a rumor if it's true' her voice repeated in my head. I stuffed all my books, and binders into my locker, and slammed it shut. I'll ask Justin about it, I decided. I walked out of the school, and noticed Justin talking to Josh.

I walked up next to him, and he drapped his arm across my shoulders.

"I'll see you guys later." Justin said, waving Josh off.

"Happy fourth week!" Josh yelled over his shoulder. I looked over my shoulder to see Josh walking off.

"You heard about that too?" I asked Justin.

"Heard about what?" Justin asked.

"The whole 'fourth week anniversary' between you and me." I said.