Chapter Thirteen:

Anna's POV (until further notice):

The man wrapped his arm around my waist and transported us outside of the building where a black buggy was waiting for both of us.  I looked away, repulsed, when I noticed that the buggy was a magic buggy.  Of course Jack would hire a buggy that wouldn't let anyone else track where he's been.  That way, Marianne wouldn't be able to track me at all.

 I ducked my head as the man pushed me into the carriage.  It had been a long time, maybe fifty years or so, since I've last had an actual meeting with Jack.  It didn't go over that well: we both lost our cool and at the end of it all his house was full of black smoke and I had burns all over my body.  The good thing was that I disappeared and made my family tunnels magic safe.  He couldn't find me ever again even if he wanted to.  But then again he found me... so I guess that plan didn't work out that well.

"Watch your step," the man said gently before releasing my waist and letting me step into the carriage alone.  He then stepped up himself and closed the door behind him.  "The good thing about these buggies," he stated, making himself at home, "is that no one can track us.  The bad thing is, I don't know where we're going."

"To Jack's house most likely," I answered him.  He raised his eyebrows.

"You must know him well if you know where you're going.  Say, how long have you known him?"

"That information is only known between my closest friends.  I will not tell you," I replied simply.  "And I will not tell you under any circumstance."

"Seems fair," he smiled.

A comfortable silence settled and the carriage took off abruptly.  I looked toward the blackened window and sighed.  "Two weeks ago I was in a comfortable bed surrounded by my family... now I'm on the road with my ex-fiance's hunter and going to who knows where.  Jack might as well have come himself."

"He did.  But then he sent me," the man answered.  "I'm Edwin by the way."

He stuck out his hand and I raised an eyebrow.  He stuck his hand back in before smiling.

"I guess you forgot about my handcuffs didn't you," I raised the other eyebrow and then sighed again.  "I never wanted this to happen.  I expected that I would settle down and have a happy life with a loving husband and three or more kids.  My family would have been with me the whole way and I would be dead right now as it should be.  But no!  I'm stuck in this stupid buggy awaiting my fate with Jack!"

"You should calm down Miss Anna," Edwin suggested.  "But in any case the carriage has been made safe from the black inside of you."

I rolled my eyes.  "I could transport myself out of this carriage at any moment Edwin and you wouldn't be able to do a thing about it.  Do you think I care what my black goop would do to this carriage?"

"I was just suggesting," Edwin replied calmly, but with a bit of a tense edge to his voice.  "If you dare to get on my bad side, I will make this journey as bad for you as humanely possible."

At this point he had risen from his seat and gotten into my face.  I could smell the mint upon his breath and could see the darkness in his eyes and knew I shouldn't be messing with him.

"Whatever... but when I get out of here, you'll be the first to die..."

"Is that a threat?" he asked surprised.

"You threaten me, I threaten you.  That's how it works.  Now please get out of my face."

"No," he said flatly.  "I won't."

"You're acting like a two year old Edwin.  This isn't a very good first impression," I warned.  "Get out of my face before I lose my patience."

He seemed to realize what he was doing and backed off toward his seat.  "I have to admit... your patience is a lot longer than I thought it'd be."