Chapter Twelve: Part Two:

Anna's POV:

Alright... the key to this situation is not to panic.  But I'm already panicking!  I paced the room in agitation and growing fear.  All I have to do is move safe houses.  Marianne could transfer me in one of her magic horse buggies and Eric and I would be safe again.  We would carry out my plan tomorrow.  All I had to do now is convince Eric that Jack would figure out some how to get in.

I allowed myself to go back to the dinner table where Eric was sitting calmly.  How can he be so calm?  Sitting like nothing is really happening.  I approached him with the calmest manner that I could conjure up.  Sitting down I finally looked across at him and froze.

"Did you find the boy?" the man in front of me asked.  I swallowed and picked up my fork.

"Yes," I answered calmly.  Now I just have to escape this guy.  "Where is Eric?"

"Is that who the handsome young man was?  Well, I'll have to leave it up to you to find out," the man answered, putting his napkin down and slowly standing up.  "Jack will take care of him.  He knows that he means a great deal to you.  After all, you were having a very nice dinner with him."

"What have you done to him?" I asked sharply.

"We haven't done anything to him... yet," the balding man glanced at me and fingered the wine cup in front of him.  "But if you don't agree to come with us, then something will happen to him and very, very soon.  So I would suggest that you come with me before you precious king dies."

At this point the man was in my face.  I fought the urge to back away.  "I'll come."

"Good girl," he patted my head before grabbing my wrist.  I already knew what he was putting on my wrist: handcuffs.  "As long as you do as we say," he whispered into my ear, "your prince won't get hurt."

I nodded nervously.  If I made the wrong move I would jeopardize Eric's life.  I would have to play this out Jack's way: even if it meant giving him the stone.