Chapter Eight:

I peeked out of the corner of my eye at the transformed Eric.  Just a few days ago he was a snobby king that no one liked, but as I got down to his softer shell I could see a whole new spirit coming from him.  Now, as we were walking, I could see a small spring to his step where there wasn't one before.  I giggled.

"What?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.  "Why are you laughing?"

"Nothing," I shook my head and giggled again.  He bumped me in the arm and I swerved out of the way.

"Do you want me to carry your backpack?" he asked considerately, starting to pull it from my back.

"No Eric," I protested, though the weight was killing my shoulders.  "You don't have to do that..."

It was too late, he had already slung the pack over his shoulder and kept walking.  It felt like Eric had just lifted a thousand burdens off my shoulders.  I rolled my shoulders and massaged the sore muscles.

"Do you think he's following us now?" Eric asked in panic.  I knew it hadn't left his mind since we talked about it.

"Yes Eric," I said plainly.  "He's following us."

"You're not supposed to say that," he complained.

"Well what am I supposed to say Eric?  No, Jack's not following us.  I would be lying if I said that," I replied flatly.  "Don't worry about it alright?  If he gets close to us I'll just transfer us farther away."

Eric grabbed my shoulders and pulled me back to look at him in the eyes.  "What if you can't do that in time?" he asked concerned.  "If you're scared of Jack yourself, then that means that I have to be double scared.  I don't have powers like you and him... I would be vulnerable to his powers in no time."

"As long as we're next to a village, he won't use his magic on us," I assured him, pulling out of his grip.

"There aren't any cities or villages in this area," he pointed out, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes there is silly," I laughed.  "It's right around the corner."

Just as I said this, the path turned into a gravel walkway and suddenly there were houses lined up down a freshly paved road.  I winked at Eric and his jaw dropped.

"How did you know it was there?  The trees hid it so well!"

"You really have to get out more," I snorted.  "Let's find a place to stay for tonight."

"Are you sure?" Eric asked hesitantly.  I already knew what he was about to say, so I gave him my best 'are-you-kidding-me' stare.  He rolled his eyes and kept walking.

"I know the perfect place," I said excitedly, grabbing his hand and tugging him forward.  He stumbled before keeping up with me easily.  As we got to the center of the village I could see a small sign listing the name of the inn:  Marianne's Comfort Home.  I smiled again before dashing into the house.

"I can see that this trip hasn't made you any less sporadic!" Eric called after me before running in also.  He stopped when he saw the inside.  "This is... huge!"

"Not everyone lives in a world without magic," I teased him before taking out a wad of cash and telling Marianne that I would be here for a while.  She nodded before giving us a key.  "Oh, Marianne... don't let anyone in with the name of Jack, okay?"

She nodded and showed us to the stairs.  "If you need anything else, you know where to find it," she smiled before walking back to her desk.

***

 Eric's eyes almost popped out of their sockets as I pushed open the door to our room.

"Wow..." he breathed.  "This. Is. Amazing!"