Chapter Nineteen: Part Two:

The guards pull me to my feet before carting me off toward the castle.  I sigh in half relief.  At least I'll be closer to the stone where I can feel its presence gnawing at my brain.  My father must have been a brilliant man in his time to create such a stone.

"Careful," I yelped as the guard on my left steps on my foot.  "I have to use that thing."

He rolled his eyes and kept walking steadily toward the heavy metal doors of the dungeon.  I had to think of something and quickly.  Maybe if I had a depressing thought coming then I would be able to frighten the guards away or something.

"Did you know that I have a disease?" I asked them both.  They looked down at me in disgust and inched away just a little.  "It's called Mirke Dile Disease.  Have you ever heard of it?"

Thinking with all my might, I tried to get a depressing thought to enter my mind, but none would come.  Knowing that the stone really existed, I knew that Eric would be okay also.  I slumped in their arms and they dropped me.

"I'm actually feeling another bout of it coming on.  Please help me!" I started to screech like a wild animal and they backed away quickly.

"Well don't just stand there," one of the guards demanded of the other guard, "help the poor lady!"

The guard that had been on my right came closer, his hands trembling.  This was good.  Maybe I could trap them into thinking I was diseased.  Suddenly the depressing thought came into my mind.  It was the picture of my family--slaughtered by Jack.  A black tear escaped my eye and rolled to the ground in a glob of blackness.  The guard stepped away in fright.

"She deteriorating!  Let's get out of here!" he ran out of the dungeon and up the stairs.  The other guard followed in hot pursuit.  I giggled to myself before moving further into the dungeon which was mostly empty thanks to Laura.

As I got further and further down I could sense the same, strange and empowering need and I knew that it was the stone.  I quickly followed the need and found myself at my old cell.  I yanked open the heavy iron gate and ran in.  The need was almost screaming at me as I walked closer to where I had been tortured so many times before.  On the ground was a small rock, about the size of my palm.  I picked it up and was suddenly thrust backward with an unknown source.  The rock flew from my hands and fell to the ground behind me.  I scrambled to get it before anyone else did.

As I picked it up, again the unseen power kicked me from my feet and the stone landed next to my head.  I looked at it in confusion.  My father never warned me of this.  I might as well give up.  But then I remembered the frail body of Eva and how my magic wasn't as strong when I was her.  I smiled.  My father was a brilliant man.  More than I could ever know!

Changing quickly to Eva once more, I grabbed the stone and finally could hold it in my hands.  "Thank you!" I kissed the stone in delight and started off toward the front of the dungeon.  As I approached more guards than before rushed past me, most likely in pursuit of my 'deteriorating' body.  I smirked at their ignorance.  I would be gone in a matter of minutes, and they'd be searching the palace for me.  I would laugh at their faces when I'd come back with Eric arm in arm.

I quickly rushed out of the castle and to the icy gates where the same guards stood.  I smiled warmly at them, as if I were Eva.

"Eva!" Karm delightedly said.  "I haven't seen you for ages!"

"I've been busy for quite some time," I replied.  "I have to go home for a while, just to clean up and everything."

"I thought you lived in the castle," Karm responded confused.

"I do, but I have to feed my family some time," I replied.  I smiled warmly before going past them.  "I'll have to bring them to the castle sometime to show you."

"Of course!  Good day Eva," Karm called.  I waved and kept walking.  As soon as I was away from the castle, far enough so that they wouldn't see, I opened my apron where I had hid the stone.  It was finally in my hands!

I brought it to my face and sighed.  My long journey had been worth it.  The queen was right: the stone does exist!  I did a happy dance before transferring myself back to Eric's casket.  This would have to work or I would blow everything up within a ten mile radius.

I quickly walked to the guarded room where Eric lay.  The guards looked at me in suspicion.  I laughed at my idiocy.  They wouldn't let Eva into the same room as the dead king!  I quickly made it look like I was going somewhere else.  As soon as I turned the corner and made sure no one was watching, I dropped the stone onto the ground and wrapped it up in layers and layers of clothing.  Then I quickly changed back to myself.  I picked up the clothing and was again kicked back with force.  I struggled with the small piece of rock for a small moment before it finally settled down and let me hold it close to my body.

I hurried down the hall and the guards stepped away from the doors and let me in.  I thanked them and told them not to let anyone in, especially anyone with the name Jack.  They agreed and I smiled at them as they closed the doors.

Light still filtered in through the window above Eric's casket and I winced as I opened the lid showing his face.  He looked peaceful, despite the fact that he was dead, and I almost wanted to keep it that way.  But I knew that I couldn't.  It was my fault that he was dead, and I needed to bring him back.

I set the layers of clothing on the ground and unwrapped them quickly.  The stone sat in the middle, pretending to look like a normal little rock.  I bit my lip and reached for it.  When nothing happened I supposed that it was in favor with me now.  I smiled and thanked my father for letting it like certain people.

"I ask you, Stone..." I started.  I felt a little silly for asking a regular old stone for giving back life, but who cares! "Will you please bring Eric's soul back to him?  And heal him of all his wounds?"

The stone started to glow an unnatural blue and suddenly the whole light shone with the brightness of it.  I had to shield my eyes from its color.  Suddenly the room was dark again and I hesitantly took a step toward the casket.

"Eric?" I asked hopefully.

_________________________________________________________________________

Just pretend that the rock on the left, or wherever it is on your screen, is blue okay?  It's supposed to be the stone, but I couldn't find any good pictures.  (It's also supposed to be a little brighter... oh well!)  :)  Hope you enjoyed it! :D