Chapter 2

The next morning I got up for my morning exercise before work. Sometimes I did a light jog, other times I didn't. This way it got my heart pumping and I stayed fit.

I did 30 minutes of intense cardio and  10 minute cool down stretches. After that I had 30 minutes before I had to leave so I took a shower to clean off all the sweat and stink. I used my favorite coconut lavender body scrub. It smelled  heavenly and exfoliated my whole body.

After showering, I got dressed in light blue jeans with a knitted beige sweater. Nothing too fancy. I finished it off with black combat boots.

I did a light dusting of makeup and fixed my hair. I liked make-up just because the way it looked. I didn't wear it because I was self conscious like people think girls usually wear it for. And that was okay to me.

My mom was still asleep and my dad had already gone to work. I had 1 brother named troy and he was 12. I headed downstairs to get an apple and a granola bar where Troy sat at the table eating cereal.

"Good mornin'." I greeted him as I washed off my apple.

He was too busy staring at the tv to notice me so I tried again.

"Good morning Troy." I said a little louder. Then stood in front of the tv blocking his view.

"Ciara move. I can't see." He moved side to side but I blocked him each time.

"Then open your eyes." I said with a smirk.

He gave me a flat look that I jokingly reciprocated.

It was fun to tease him.

"Well you should've just said good morning and I wouldn't have to do that." I said then checked my clock. I need to go ahead and leave.

"Yeah, yeah. Just move." He said then went back to watching the show.

"Make sure you don't miss the bus for school  and tell momma I said bye." I said as I walked out the living room.

I grabbed my things and told troy bye, then left out the house. I owned a
2008 Honda accord. It was old,used, and not much of a looker but it got  me from point a to point b.  That was fine in my book. I really wanted a truck but my parents couldn't afford it at the time so I settled for this. Maybe someday I could buy one.

I drove off to my job where I worked as a book clerk. I got paid little at $10.25 an hour. I didn't want to work at a fast food place or anything dealing with management. Plus I loved to read. I checked in books sometimes but mostly restocked them on in the shelves. When I arrived, I went inside being enveloped in the cool air and lemon scent of the library.

"Hey Ciara girrrll!" My bestfriend Candace exclaimed as I grabbed a cart full of books to reshelve. I went over to her and gave her a bonecrushing hug. We had just seen each other the day before but this was routine for us.

We began to restock the books and lowered our voices to whispers to talk.

"Girl, so let me tell you what happened yesterday..." She was quiet but animated as usual. Candace liked to talk and was bubbly;the exact opposite of me. I was more reserved and only talkative around people I was comfortable with.

I worked diligently and listened to what she had to say.

"So I was in line at Wal-Mart, and you know how they be trippin' with those  longer than life lines. Like really, by the time you get to the front your birthday, Christmas and Christ done came back. They need to get with the program and fix that. Get some new workers, some more registers or somethin'."She rambled.

"Girl get on with the story." I said playfully rolling my eyes.

"Ok, so I was in line and the guy in front of me turned around and o.m.g. Ciara he was fiiinneee. Hmm hm. I had to hold myself."